Connect with us

News

ASUU faults Education Minister over implementation of signed agreement

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) on Monday warned that a fresh strike could be imminent in the nation’s university system over the alleged incomplete implementation of the December 2025 FG/ASUU agreement.

The warning was issued by the ASUU Abuja Zone at a press conference held at the Nasarawa State University, Keffi.

Speaking on behalf of the union, the Zonal Coordinator, Comrade Adamu Abdullahi, said ASUU disagreed with Education Minister that the agreement had been fully implemented.

The union insisted that several key provisions and outstanding welfare issues affecting lecturers remain unresolved.

Advertisement

The ASUU leader said that the momentum generated by the deal was already fading.

He said ASUU’s concerns were driven by what it described as the Federal Government’s failure to inaugurate the Implementation Monitoring Committee (IMC), which was expected to ensure proper execution of the agreement and shield it from bureaucratic delays.

According to him, the absence of the committee had resulted in what the union called “distorted implementation,” leaving universities to interpret and apply provisions of the agreement independently.

Abdullahi said: “It was only five months since the fanfare that accompanied the signing of the FG/ASUU agreement after a protracted negotiation spanning eight years.

Advertisement

“What has been witnessed so far is a distorted implementation of the agreement that is obviously anchored on a memorandum transmitted from the Honourable Minister of Education to Councils of Federal Universities in February 2026.”

He alleged that instead of a coordinated implementation framework, universities were now “picking and choosing” what to pay under various allowances, including the Consolidated Academic Tools Allowance (CATA), Earned Academic Allowance (EAA), and Professorial Allowance (PA), instead of integrating them properly into salary structures.

Abdullahi also expressed concern that some state governments, despite participating in the negotiation process, had allegedly failed to implement key aspects of the agreement in their universities.

Beyond implementation issues, he listed several outstanding welfare concerns affecting its members, including arrears of the 25–35 per cent salary award, promotion arrears, unpaid third-party deductions such as check-off dues and cooperative contributions, salary shortfalls linked to the Integrated Personnel and Payroll Information System (IPPIS), and the withheld three-and-half months’ salaries arising from the 2022 industrial action.

Advertisement

Abdullahi criticised the continued application of the “no work, no pay” policy, describing it as unfair to academic staff.

“No country can progress when the welfare issues of academics are left unattended. Reducing scholars to menial workers whose livelihood is tied strictly to physical presence at work does not reflect the realities of academic work, where research and community service continue even during strike periods,” Abdullahi stated.

He added that affected lecturers had already made sacrifices by forfeiting leave periods to make up for lost academic time, noting that students affected by previous strikes had since graduated, while academic calendars had remained stable for three consecutive years.

Abdullahi also raised concerns over the welfare of retired lecturers, particularly in some state universities, where pension arrears were reportedly outstanding for years.

Advertisement

He also decried delays in pension harmonisation by the National Pension Commission (PenCom), as well as the absence of functional pension schemes in some institutions.

On university governance, Abdullahi condemned what he described as irregular appointments and administrative practices, alleging that some Vice Chancellors had introduced questionable titles such as “Professor of Practice” and “Diaspora Professors” without proper approval from university statutory bodies.

Abdullahi said such practices had opened the door to abuse, allowing individuals with questionable academic credentials to be absorbed into the system and, in some cases, rise to leadership positions.

He urged the Federal and State Governments to urgently address all outstanding issues in the agreement, warning that failure to do so could destabilise the university system.

Advertisement

“We strongly condemn the distorted or non-implementation of the December 2025 FG/ASUU Agreement by both Federal and State Governments.

“Government must urgently resolve all outstanding issues to avoid a breakdown of industrial harmony in our universities,”,” Abdullahi added.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Flood disrupts human and vehicular movement in Edo

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Vehicular and pedestrian movement was disrupted on Tuesday after heavy rainfall caused flooding around the Tomline area along Lagos Road in Benin, Edo State.

The rain, which began about midday, caused serious gridlock as motorists were confined to using one of the four lanes leading to the Uselu and University of Benin axis.

Some motorists had to turn back as they feared that their vehicles could break down in the deluge.

However, commercial bus drivers navigated the flood as they were bent on ensuring that nothing disrupted their daily income.

Advertisement

Also, most of the businesses around the area were closed, while owners were seen standing nearby.

A commercial bus driver, Rueben Osas, said that he had no choice but to continue working in the hope that his vehicle would withstand the flood.

He added, “There is nothing we can do than to continue with our work and hope that our vehicles do not break down. However, the state government can help fix the road so that this yearly flooding in this area will become a thing of the past.”

Another person, who gave his name as John, said that the flooding, which is a yearly occurrence, has become an embarrassment to the state.

Advertisement

He said that relocating from the area remained the best option but added that the economy has impacted his business negatively.

He called on the state governor, Senator Monday Okpebholo, to extend the repair work he is carrying out to the area, which he said is in dire need of attention.

His words: “It has become a yearly problem. It hampers our businesses, and one can only hope that the Governor will also look at repairing the road just like he is doing on Sapele Road.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

NESREA Shuts Kano Rice Plant Over Environmental Violations

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA) has sealed off a rice processing facility in Kano State, Fortune Rice Mills Limited, over alleged violations of environmental regulations relating to air pollution and offensive emissions.

The enforcement action, carried out on Monday, was led by the agency’s North-West Zonal Director, Dr. Mudashiru Raheem, following investigations into public complaints against the company.

According to NESREA, residents had raised concerns over persistent dust emissions and offensive odour emanating from the facility despite earlier compliance notices issued to the company.

The agency said investigations established that the rice mill violated provisions of the National Environmental (Air Quality Control) Regulations 2014 as well as the National Environmental (Food, Beverages and Tobacco Sector) Regulations 2023, prompting the sealing of the plant.

Advertisement

Director-General of National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency, Innocent Barikor, who authorised the shutdown, condemned what he described as the “reckless attitude” of some industrial facilities towards public health and environmental safety.

Barikor stressed that economic interests must not come at the expense of citizens’ wellbeing and environmental sustainability, warning that the agency would continue to enforce compliance with environmental laws across the country.

“The health of citizens and the environment must not be sacrificed on the altar of economic gain,” he said.

He also called on Nigerians to take greater responsibility for environmental protection by reporting environmental infractions and pollution incidents to the agency for prompt action.

Advertisement

The latest enforcement underscores renewed regulatory scrutiny on industrial operators amid growing concerns over environmental pollution and public health risks in several parts of the country.

Continue Reading

News

How El-Rufai Revoked Gowon’s Abuja Land — Bishop Kukah

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The Catholic Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, Matthew Hassan Kukah, has revealed how a plot of land allocated to former Head of State, Yakubu Gowon, in Abuja, was revoked during the tenure of former Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nasir El-Rufai.

Kukah made the revelation on Tuesday in Abuja while reviewing Gowon’s autobiography, ‘My Life of Duty and Allegiance’, published by Havilah Group.

Speaking at the event, the cleric recounted some of the hardships Gowon endured after he was overthrown in the 1975 military coup and subsequently went into exile in the United Kingdom.

According to Kukah, Gowon returned to Nigeria without owning any property in Abuja and only secured a plot of land after the intervention of senior military officers, including former military president, General Ibrahim Babangida (rtd).

Advertisement

“He didn’t have a plot of land. And when he came back, it was just out of pity, let me put it that way, that General Babangida agreed. Finally, they named one crescent after him, and after the crescent, they now gave him a plot of land, his first plot of land in Abuja,” Kukah said.

The Catholic bishop explained that Gowon had already mobilised resources and commenced development on the property before the allocation was revoked under El-Rufai’s administration as FCT minister.

“He mobilised resources to try and start building. He begins to build. Then El-Rufai, who was minister of the FCT, revoked the land,” Kukah stated.

Kukah, however, disclosed that the intervention of retired General Theophilus Danjuma and other influential figures eventually helped Gowon recover the property.

Advertisement

The cleric described Gowon’s autobiography as a detailed account of Nigeria’s turbulent political history, noting that the nearly 900-page memoir was divided into 36 chapters covering military coups, exile, governance and personal struggles.

He also disclosed that much of Gowon’s personal records and archives were destroyed in separate fire incidents in Bakori and Kaduna, forcing the former military ruler to rely heavily on memory while writing the book.

“It’s important to underscore the fact that whatever you read in the book is the result of what the author was able to recall,” Kukah said.

“You will find in the book evidence of excellent memory and details of things.”

Advertisement

Kukah further highlighted revelations contained in the memoir regarding Gowon’s relationship with former President Olusegun Obasanjo, whom Gowon reportedly described as his “informal guardian angel.”

Quoting from the book, Kukah said Gowon wrote that he trusted Obasanjo “more than any other soldier.”

The bishop also referenced recollections by a former Chief of Staff, Supreme Headquarters on debates within the military over whether Gowon should be allowed to return to Nigeria after years in exile.

According to Kukah, some officials feared political backlash if news of Gowon’s planned return became public.

Advertisement

Beyond politics, the bishop praised Gowon’s wife, Mrs Victoria Gowon, describing her as “the shield, the diplomat, who wore the trousers in the house.”

He recounted how the Gowon family faced severe hardship while living in exile in the United Kingdom, with the former Head of State reportedly struggling to secure employment or even open a bank account.

Kukah said Victoria Gowon sustained the family by sewing bed sheets and making pillows for sale.

“He himself said in the book that he became what he called a kept man because she was the one looking after everything in the house,” the bishop noted.

Advertisement

The cleric further alleged that a domestic worker sent to assist the family by Nigerian officials was later discovered to be spying on them.

“At the end of the day, the poor man could not find anything to report back home,” Kukah added.

Gowon ruled Nigeria from 1966 to 1975 and led the country through the Nigerian civil war. His administration later introduced the policy of “No victor, No vanquished” and established the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) scheme as part of post-war reconciliation efforts.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News