News
Senate Extends 2025 Capital Budget Implementation to September
- /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/11/Senate.jpg&description=Senate Extends 2025 Capital Budget Implementation to September', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/11/Senate.jpg&description=Senate Extends 2025 Capital Budget Implementation to September', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
Senate on Thursday approved a fresh three-month extension of the implementation period for the capital component of the 2025 Appropriation Act. It shifted the deadline from June 30, 2026, to September 30, 2026, in a move aimed at salvaging ongoing projects and enabling ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs) to fully utilise funds already released by the federal government.
The decision, which followed the adoption of a motion sponsored by Senate Chief Whip, Senator Tahir Munguno, marked the third extension granted to the capital component of the 2025 budget.
The National Assembly had initially extended the implementation period from December 31, 2025, to March 31, 2026, and later from March 31 to June 30, 2026, before Thursday’s latest shift to September 30.
With the extension, MDAs will have an additional three months to complete ongoing capital projects, process outstanding payments, and meet contractual obligations tied to projects captured in the 2025 fiscal plan.
Leading debate on the motion, Munguno said the extension became imperative because a substantial portion of funds released for approved projects and programmes had yet to be utilised owing to procurement timelines, project execution challenges, and other administrative bottlenecks.
According to him, several strategic projects across key sectors of the economy are already at advanced stages of implementation and require additional time for completion, certification and payment.
He warned that allowing the implementation window to lapse at the end of June could result in the abandonment of critical projects, waste public resources already committed to them, and disrupt ongoing government interventions.
Munguno also expressed concern that some projects contained in the 2025 budget might not be reintroduced in future appropriation cycles, thereby creating funding gaps and undermining national development objectives.
He stated that extending the validity of the capital component would promote efficient utilisation of public funds, improve budget performance and support economic growth.
“The Senate is convinced that granting a further extension of the implementation period is in the national interest and will ensure value for money in public expenditure,” he said.
Chairman of Senate Committee on Appropriations, Senator Olamilekan Adeola, who seconded the motion, said although payment for some capital projects had commenced, numerous obligations remained outstanding.
Adeola recalled that President Bola Tinubu had earlier informed the National Assembly that only about 30 per cent of the funds required for the outstanding 2025 capital commitments would be accommodated through the rollover arrangement, while the balance would be reflected in the 2026 budget framework.
“Payment has commenced, but we still have a lot of outstanding obligations to settle,” he said, urging lawmakers to support the extension.
In his remarks, President of the Senate, Senator Godswill Akpabio, said the decision was consistent with the constitutional responsibility of the National Assembly to ensure effective implementation of the budget and prudent management of public resources.
Akpabio recalled that when Tinubu presented the budget, it was envisaged that only a portion of the capital expenditure would be fully implemented within the approved timeframe, while the balance would be accommodated through subsequent budgetary provisions.
He stated that implementation challenges had earlier necessitated the extension of the capital component to June 30, 2026, but said outstanding obligations still remained significant.
Akpabio stated, “Although payments have commenced, a considerable number of obligations remain outstanding. It has therefore become necessary, in the interest of effective budget execution and accountability, to further extend the implementation period beyond June 30, 2026, to September 30, 2026.”
The senate president expressed confidence that the additional three-month window would enable the government to settle all outstanding commitments under the affected component of the budget, while ensuring that implementation of projects under the subsequent fiscal cycle proceeded without disruption.
The latest extension underscores the persistent implementation challenges confronting federal capital budgets and highlights the government’s efforts to avoid project abandonment amid ongoing fiscal and administrative constraints.
News
Osun election: People’s will defeated political machinery – Sen. Natasha
Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan (PDP, Kogi Central) has said the outcome of the August 15 Osun governorship election was evidence that the will of the people can defeat political machinery and intimidation.
She said this while reacting to the outcome of the Osun governorship election on Sunday.
The federal lawmaker congratulated Governor Ademola Adeleke on his re-election, describing the poll as a victory for democracy.
INEC had declared Adeleke winner of the hotly contested election which was almost marred by some high-profile assassinations before Election Day.
Adeleke polled 511,067 votes to defeat 14 other candidates. His closest rival Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress (APC) polled 444,815 votes, while African Democratic Congress (ADC) candidate Najeem Salam scored 17,180 votes.
Senator Natasha said, “The people of Osun State have spoken loudly and unmistakably. They stood firm, defended their votes and demonstrated that democracy belongs to the people. No amount of political machinery, intimidation or pressure can permanently silence the voice of the electorate,” she said.
She further said the election was a test of Nigeria’s democratic resilience, coming amid concerns over vote-buying and security.
“What we witnessed in Osun is a powerful reminder that the ballot remains the strongest weapon of the ordinary citizen in a democracy. When the people are determined to protect their mandate, political calculations and structures cannot substitute for genuine popular support,” she added.
She also commended INEC for conducting the election and ensuring votes were properly collated, and also acknowledged the Returning Officer, Prof. Joshua Ogunwole.
The Kogi Senator equally said, “I commend the leadership of INEC for conducting the Osun election and for allowing the votes of the people to count. Elections are not merely about voting; they are about ensuring that the votes are properly accounted for and that the legitimate choice of the electorate is respected.
“President Bola Ahmed Tinubu deserves commendation for allowing democracy to take its course in Osun State. Despite the enormous political interests and pressures surrounding the election, the people were given the opportunity to exercise their constitutional right to choose their leader.”
She acknowledged the role played by music star, David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, in campaigning for his uncle.
According to her, “Davido stood firmly with his uncle. He did not hide his position or abandon his conviction when the political atmosphere became difficult. Whatever one’s political persuasion may be, his determination to participate and support the democratic choice he believed in is noteworthy.”
She also noted that the Osun election has once again demonstrated that the people remember those who served them, those who stood with them and those who delivered when it mattered most.
Noting that political power is temporary, but the impact of good governance remains in the hearts of the people.
She appealed to Governor Adeleke to see his renewed mandate as a responsibility to serve all citizens of Osun.
“To every politician, there is a simple lesson from Osun: if you are a politician, let your works speak for you,” she stated.
News
Rainbow Coalition Moves to End Rivers Political Rift, Assures Members of No Victimisation
The Reconciliation Committee of the Rainbow Coalition has assured members of the political group that no one will be victimised or discriminated against as part of ongoing efforts to restore peace and unity in Rivers State.
The committee gave the assurance on Sunday after meeting with Rivers State Governor, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, at the Government House in Port Harcourt. The meeting was the second between the governor and members of the committee in about two weeks.
The committee said the reconciliation process was aimed at rebuilding the political family and creating a new atmosphere in which all members would be treated equally and with respect, regardless of their past political disagreements.
Speaking to journalists after the meeting, Chairman of the committee, Senator Magnus Abe, said the gathering was held to further deliberate on modalities for achieving lasting peace among the previously estranged political leaders.
The committee was constituted by the leader of the group, Nyesom Wike, Minister of the Federal Capital Territory and former governor of Rivers State.
Abe said the committee had held a series of meetings to develop a framework for bringing all members together, adding that significant progress had been made in the reconciliation process.
He said the development should reassure Rivers residents who have been concerned about the political divisions in the state.
“We are all in agreement and we have made very good progress,” Abe said.
He added that the renewed engagement marked “a significant shift in the political atmosphere of the state,” expressing optimism that the reconciliation would pave the way for greater unity, progress and prosperity in Rivers State.
Also speaking, the South-South Zonal Publicity Secretary of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Dr Samuel Nwanosike, commended Governor Fubara for receiving the delegation and providing an avenue for the stakeholders to engage in a spirit of brotherhood.
Nwanosike described the outcome of the meeting as a major step towards restoring unity within the political family.
“The family is back; sincerely back, and soon, they will see the working of the Rainbow Coalition,” he said.
He added that the coalition was committed to ensuring that Rivers residents enjoyed the dividends of democracy.
Another stakeholder, Chief Ambrose Nwuzi, said members who support Governor Fubara had embraced the reconciliation process, stressing that peace remained the best option for the state.
Nwuzi described the previous disagreements among the political actors as part of the challenges that could arise in any human society.
He said the leaders had agreed on the need to reconcile and that the process was already yielding results.
“I can tell you that we have reconciled. All that we are waiting for is for the Honourable Minister of the Federal Capital Territory to put the seal on the reconciliation process which has been going on for the past few weeks,” he said.
Other members of the delegation included the APC governorship candidate in Rivers State, Hon. Kingsley Ogundu Chinda, and Mr Tamosisi Gogo-Jaja, among others.
The latest development is expected to further strengthen the ongoing efforts to end the prolonged political differences among the stakeholders and restore unity within Rivers State’s political family.
News
FCT: Tinubu’s Govt Signs 26,272 Certificates of Occupancy To Aid Businesses, 17,575 More Than Those Signed in 13 Years
To aid the ease of doing business in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), and in line with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda, a total of 26,272 Certificates of Occupancy (C-of-O) have been signed by the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, since the President assumed office.
This is against a total of 8,697 produced and signed between 2010 and 2023.
During the five and half years administration of President Goodluck Jonathan, a total 5,500 Certificates of Occupancy were produced and signed while 3,197 were produced and signed during the eight years administration of President Muhammadu Buhari.
Many of the allottees who are beneciaries of the 26,272 Certificates of Occupancy produced and signed by the FCT Administration under Wike, got their allocations more than 10 years ago.
Certificate of Occupancy functions as trusted collateral for commercial loans, mortgages, or business expansion capital.
Inability of property owners to get Certificates of Occupancy when needed is one of the challenges facing small and medium businesses, as it restricts access to funding.
Senior Special Assistant to the FCT Minister on Public Communications and Social Media, Lere Olayinka, said in a statement on Sunday, that the FCT Administration under the present Government of President Tinubu, has streamlined the process to enable land allottees receive their documents within two weeks of completing payments.
“The moment necessary payments are made, land allottees can now get their C-of-O within two weeks.
“Also, an automated notifications has been introduced to ensure that land allottees are informed when their documents are ready for collection,” Olayinka said.
He attributed the delays under previous administrations to inefficiencies that discouraged landowners from completing payments.
Apart from producing and signing 26,272 Certificates of Occupancy, a total of 2,521 Consents to assign was granted while 177 Consents to Mortgage were granted in the last three years of President Tinubu’s administration, by the FCT Administration under Nyesom Wike.
This is against 753 Consents to assign and 180 Consents to Mortgage granted by the administration of President Jonathan as well as 684 Consents to assign and 164 Consents to Mortgage granted during the eight years government of President Buhari.
A consent to assign is a legal document required when selling a property, or shifting loan agreements while consent to mortgage is an official approval required before a property can be used as collateral for a loan.
-
News22 hours agoBREAKING: Adeleke dismantles APC with 511,067 votes
-
News20 hours agoNDLEA nabs India-bound bizman with cocaine, recovers N3.6b Colos, codeine in Lagos(Photos)
-
News17 hours agoOsun election: Read What Adeleke Said After Defeating Oyebamiji
-
News20 hours agoMajor reason why dancing Gov Adeleke won Osun again: The Forces Behind the Governor’s 2026 victory
-
News17 hours agoMakinde Hails Adeleke’s Re-election, Berates Attempt to Use Federal Might
-
News14 hours ago3,000 Man O’War officers undergo intensive training in readiness for safe sch engagement (Photos)
-
Opinion20 hours agoThe Sundiata Post Model (7): A Philosophical Triad and the Language of 21st-Century Journalism
-
Politics14 hours agoOSUN DECIDES: APC studying results across 332 wards, reveal next move
