Connect with us

News

Minority Caucus Sounds Alarm Over Insecurity, Judiciary and 2027 Politics

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

…accuse government of prioritising re-election politics over national security

…warn that Nigeria is approaching a dangerous crossroads

…To Nigerians:  Do not despair. 2027 will not be decided in Aso Rock or by compromised courts – Caucus

By Gloria Ikibah

Advertisement

The Minority Caucus of the House of Representatives has launched a blistering attack on the Federal Government, accusing it of failing to address worsening insecurity, presiding over judicial confusion and pursuing what it described as a coordinated effort to weaken opposition parties ahead of the 2027 general election.

Speaking at a world press conference held at the National Assembly Complex in Abuja on Wednesday, Minority Leader of the House, Rep. Fred Agbedi, painted a grim picture of the nation’s condition, alleging that governance had taken a back seat to political calculations.

Agbedi said: “Nigeria is bleeding. Nigeria is confused. And Nigeria is being deliberately pushed to the brink by a government that has elevated 2027 electioneering above the lives and welfare of citizens.

“We convene this press conference today with a heavy heart but with unshaken resolve to speak truth to power because silence in the face of tyranny is complicity.”

Advertisement

The caucus listed a number of concerns with regards to kidnappings, killings, worsening insecurity, economic hardship, political intimate among other.

General Rabe’s Death a National Tragedy
The caucus condemned the killing of retired Major General Rabe Abubakar while in captivity, describing the incident as evidence of the deepening security crisis confronting the country.

Agbedi argued that the death of a senior military officer in such circumstances raises troubling questions about the effectiveness of the nation’s security architecture.

He said the tragedy reflected the growing vulnerability of citizens across the country.

Advertisement

“The House of Representatives Minority Caucus condemns in the strongest terms the horrendous murder of retired Major General Rabe Abubakar while in terrorist captivity in Katsina. And the subsequent release of his wife under questionable circumstances.

“That a General of the Nigerian Army, who once commanded troops and defended this nation, could be kidnapped alongside his wife and later declared dead under unclear circumstances is a grave indictment of a failed state. It is a national embarrassment. It tells the world that in today’s Nigeria, neither rank, service, nor sacrifice guarantees safety.
“What is particularly irksome is that before General Rabe’s murder, two other Generals and commanding officers had been slain in battle without the repercussion of their sad demise visited on anyone or group.

“While we mourn General Rabe, we ask: If a General is not safe within the borders of our nation, then who truly is?

“Not even our respected traditional rulers and monarchs, who have now become easy targets of vicious bandits who kidnap and kill them at will. Our security is in the mud. Yet, the political class is busy rehearsing new political dance steps, seemingly unbothered”, he said.

Advertisement

Offering condolences to the late officer’s family and the Nigerian Army, Agbedi insisted that sympathy alone will not solve the country’s security challenges.

He claimed that previous gains made against insurgent groups had been lost and questioned the government’s current strategy.

“To General Rabe’s family, the Nigerian Army, and to all patriots who still believe in this country, we extend our deepest condolences. But condolences will not bring him back; neither does it restore confidence in the citizenry. Action will.

“President Bola Ahmed Tinubu must, therefore, live up to the title and position of Commander-in-Chief by working out a pragmatic pathway out of this enduring quagmire.

Advertisement

“At a period in our nation’s long-drawn battle with these insurgents, victory was close by, especially with the presence of mercenaries in the frontlines.

“Today, no one is sure what the strategy, if any, is.

“So, until the Administration defines a clear vision and pursues it with purpose, bandits continue to encircle the entire country, moving from Niger to Kwara, Oyo et cetera, without as much as a push back.

“General Rabe’s death must, therefore, evoke an urgent battle cry, which proclaims: Never again!”, he declared.

Advertisement

Concern Over Schoolchildren Still in Captivity
The caucus also expressed concern over schoolchildren and teachers reportedly still being held by kidnappers in Oyo State.

The Minority Leader accused the government of failing to adequately confront mass abductions, and therefore called for urgent action to secure the release of those still in captivity.

“As we speak, school children and their teachers abducted in Oyo State remain in captivity. Their crime? Going to school in Nigeria. Can we pause for a moment and imagine the gory conditions of those innocent children – and others still in captivity in other parts of the country – in the cold hands of bloodthirsty beasts.

“This is, indeed, the new normal under this administration: mass abductions without consequences, terrorists dictating terms, and a government that issues statements instead of results.

Advertisement

“We demand an immediate, coordinated, no-ransom rescue operation. Each hour these children spend with terrorists is an hour stolen from Nigeria’s future”, he stated.

Opposition Raises Alarm Over Court Rulings
The Minority Caucus also criticised recent judicial developments relating to the deregistration of political parties, describing them as politically motivated.

According to Agbedi, the ruling risked creating uncertainty within the political system.

He further alleged that the decision formed part of a broader effort to weaken opposition forces ahead of the next general election.

Advertisement

“Earlier this week, in a move that reeks of political mischief, a Federal High Court presided over by Justice Peter Lifu ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission,INEC to de-register five opposition political parties.

“This judgment, coming only months to the country’s general elections and after a subsisting Appeal Court decision on the same matter, is not intended to serve justice. Instead, it appears to be a deliberate ploy to engender judicial chaos weaponized to destabilize the polity. For us as a Caucus, this is rascality taken too far, and a danger to participatory democracy.

“Let us be clear: We consider Justice Lifu’s judgment as a calculated attempt to muscle legitimate opposition out of the race for the 2027 Presidency”, he said.

The Minority Leader questioned the basis upon which the ruling was delivered despite submissions made by the electoral commission.

Advertisement

He queried that opposition parties had continued to face obstacles in their preparations for 2027, and questioned the political links of those behind the litigation.

“Indeed, we remain at odds in fathoming whose justice Justice Lifu is serving, in overlooking INEC’s submission made during the pendency of the case, to the effect that the affected parties had satisfied the requirements of the law by winning elective positions in previous elections.

“Wittingly or unwittingly, by design or not, this latest judicial gambit only adds to the growing list of hurdles which our country’s political parties have had to confront in order to be able to present candidates for the 2027 general elections.”

“We wonder, for instance, whether it is by mere happenstance that the convener and alter ego of the plaintiffs in this matter is someone holed up in the sanctuary of the presidential villa as aide to President Tinubu’s chief of staff”, he queried.

Advertisement

While welcoming the intervention of the Court of Appeal, he urged vigilance against future attempts to undermine democratic competition.

“Whilst we thank the Appeal Court for halting the judicial overreach by Justice Lifu, we urge every proponent of political pluralism to remain alert to future attempts at undermining our nation’s democracy.

“We cannot stand aloof and watch Nigerians being kidnapped and killed daily, while the system is busy manufacturing political confusion”, he stated.

Hardship and Governance Under Scrutiny
The Minority Caucus also blamed the government for worsening economic hardship and declining living conditions.

Advertisement

Agbedi argued that political activities had overshadowed governance, reminding government officials of their constitutional responsibility.

“From Sokoto to Enugu, from Borno to Lagos, the story is the same: hunger, killings, kidnappings, collapse of the naira, collapse of hope.

“Yet what preoccupies the ruling party and the Presidency is 2027. Endorsement rallies. Defections. Re-election strategies. Town hall meetings to discuss tenure security.

“The life of every Nigerian matters. Politics must take the back seat when the nation bleeds. We must secure Nigeria first.

Advertisement

“Government exists primarily for the security and welfare of the people. Section 14(2)(b) of the 1999 Constitution is not a suggestion. It is a mandate”, Agbedi argued.

Minority Caucus Lists Demands
The caucus therefore called for a comprehensive overhaul of the nation’s security framework, an immediate operation to rescue abducted schoolchildren, a transparent investigation into the death of General Rabe, intervention by the Chief Justice of Nigeria in the controversy surrounding party deregistration, and a six-month national security and economic recovery plan.

The caucus vowed that the opposition will continue to challenge government policies and defend democratic principles.

“The attempt to kill opposition parties through judicial ambush, to ignore mass killings while chasing second term, and to normalize the abduction of children is a declaration of war against Nigerians.

Advertisement

“We, the Minority Caucus of the House of Representatives, will not be silent. We will not be intimidated. We will use every legislative instrument to hold this government accountable.

“To Nigerians: Do not despair. 2027 will not be decided in Aso Rock or by compromised courts. It will be decided by you, the people.

“The opposition parties will stand with you. The opposition will not be muscled out. Nigeria will be rescued”, he said.

The press conference comes amid heightened political activity and growing national debate over security, governance and preparations for the 2027 general election.

Advertisement

This is the first assignment for the new minority leadership been lead by Rep. Fred Agbedi, and the caucus said it will brief the media on happenings.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

BREAKING: Tinubu Orders Arrest, Suspends Three Perm Secs Over Fake Agency in OSGF

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has ordered the immediate arrest of George Buchi Nwabueze and directed the suspension of three permanent secretaries following the discovery of another allegedly fictitious agency operating within the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (OSGF).

The suspended permanent secretaries are M.S. Danjuma, Nadungu Gagare and Richard P. Pheelangwah.
Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), Dr Musa Aliyu (SAN), disclosed this on Friday while briefing State House correspondents after meeting with the President for the second time in two days.

Aliyu said the ICPC uncovered a purported office operating under the name National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office.

According to him, the office had allegedly been allocated space within the premises of the OSGF without presidential approval and in violation of established procedures and relevant laws governing the public service.

Advertisement

The ICPC chairman said the discovery was made in the course of the Commission’s ongoing investigation into the alleged Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council (PFIPC), which the commission had previously identified as a fictitious entity, as well as other procedural weaknesses within the public service.

“Upon further briefing by ICPC to Mr President on the ongoing investigations into the fake Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council and procedural weaknesses in the public service, the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission has uncovered another fake agency and office operating under the name National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office, which has been illegally allocated office space within the premises of the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation,” Aliyu said.

He said preliminary findings indicated that Nwabueze was behind the establishment and operation of the alleged fictitious office, with the assistance of suspected collaborators within the OSGF.
Aliyu further disclosed that investigators discovered that Nwabueze allegedly used multiple identities in the course of operating the organisation.

The ICPC chairman said the latest discovery had prompted further action by the Federal Government, including the suspension of the affected permanent secretaries and the directive for Nwabueze’s immediate arrest.

Advertisement

The development comes amid intensified scrutiny of government offices and procedures following the ICPC’s investigation into the alleged creation and operation of unauthorised agencies and offices within the Federal Government.

The Commission is expected to continue its investigation to establish the full extent of the alleged activities, identify other individuals who may have been involved and determine how the purported office secured access to government facilities.

Continue Reading

News

Troops Rescue Four Borno Civilians Held by Boko Haram, ISWAP for Three Years

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Troops of the Nigerian Army have rescued four civilians, including two women and two male minors, who were allegedly held captive by Boko Haram/Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorists for about three years in Kukawa Local Government Area of Borno State.

The victims were rescued at about 6am on Friday, August 21, during a search-and-rescue operation conducted by troops of the 123 Special Forces Battalion (Mobile).
The operation followed intelligence reports on the movement of suspected terrorist escapees around Kauwa village.
According to security sources who spoke to security analyst Zagazola Makama, the rescued civilians comprised two women, a teenage boy and another male minor.
Preliminary debriefing reportedly revealed that the victims were abducted from Mafa Local Government Area of Borno State about three years ago before being taken to the Dogon Chuku terrorist camp, where they remained in captivity until their rescue.
The sources said the victims were provided with food and subsequently profiled by the military after they were rescued.
They were later taken to the 19 Brigade Medical Centre for medical attention and are expected to be transferred to the Theatre Headquarters for further screening, assistance and rehabilitation.
The rescue operation is part of ongoing military efforts under Operation Hadin Kai and the Multinational Joint Task Force to locate civilians held in terrorist enclaves, disrupt insurgent networks and deny Boko Haram and ISWAP fighters freedom of movement in the Lake Chad region.
Security sources said the rescued civilians would undergo further screening and debriefing to gather information that could assist ongoing military operations and provide details about the activities and locations of terrorists operating in the area.

The operation also highlights the importance of intelligence-led missions in identifying movements around communities and areas suspected to have been infiltrated or controlled by terrorist groups.

Troops have continued to conduct clearance operations, patrols and targeted raids across parts of Borno State in an effort to disrupt terrorist logistics, dismantle their networks and rescue civilians trapped in insurgency-affected communities.
Boko Haram and ISWAP have continued to exploit remote settlements and difficult terrain around the Lake Chad Basin to launch attacks and hold civilians captive.

Advertisement

The rescued victims are expected to remain under military care while authorities establish the full circumstances surrounding their abduction and captivity and determine whether other civilians may still be held in terrorist camps in the area.

The identities of the rescued civilians have not been made public, while authorities have yet to provide further details about their condition beyond confirming that they are receiving medical attention.

Continue Reading

News

Akpabio hails Tinubu over establishment of University of Technology In Akwa Ibom

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

 

President of the Senate, Godswill Akpabio on Friday, thanked President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, for giving his approval, for the Bill establishing the Federal University of Agriculture and Technology, in Obio Akpa, Oruk Anam Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State.

He also lauded Governor Umo Eno, for promptly releasing the Obio Akpa campus of the Akwa Ibom State University for the smooth take-off of the institution.

Akpabio gave the commendation at the funeral service in honour of former Majority Leader of the Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly, Late Hon.(Elder) Imo Akpan Ibokette.

Advertisement

A statement by his Special Assistant on Media, Jackson Udom quoted Akpabio as saying, ” I look forward to the admission of the first batch of the students into the Federal University of Agriculture and Technology, in this Senatorial District. Let me thank President Bola Tinubu for signing the bill which establised the University. Let me also thank our dear Governor, Pastor Umo Eno for also releasing a campus of the Akwa Ibom State University for the commencement of academic activities this year.

“Late Ibokette we are laying to rest today, was the first to call and thank me on hearing of the passage of the bill establishing the University. His death is a personal loss to me. The Ibokette’s family and I share an intimate affinity that spans decades. Even the weight of political differences did not attenuate the relationship we shared. So, I personally mourn his demise,”he stated.

The Funeral Service, in honour of the late lawmaker held at the Abak International Nursery/Primary School, in Abak Local Government Area and was conducted by the Apostolic Church Nigeria.

Akpabio described him as a patriot, selfless leader, loving father and a hardworking personality, who braced the odds in life to achieve what he achieved in life before his demise, saying, “he did his best and witnessed the uncommon transformation which he fought and worked for before his departure.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News