News
Nigerian workers poorer, FG should pay above N70,000 – Oshiomhole

The senator representing Edo North Senatorial District, Adams Oshiomhole, on Wednesday, said the current generation of workers in the country is much poorer than those in the past.
According to him, the celebrated N70,000 minimum wage, when converted to dollars, is equivalent to $42.
The former Nigeria Labour Congress president, comparing the first minimum wage in the country under President Shehu Shagari, noted that the N125 minimum wage at that time was equivalent to $160.
Oshiomhole spoke during a lecture organised for members of the Executive Intelligence Management Course 17 at the National Institute of Security Studies in Abuja.
He said, “When minimum wage in Nigeria was established under President Shagari, I think around 1981, it was around N125 which was about $160 a month.
“Today, with the fat increase, the 100 per cent increase that the labour achieved last year, which is now being implemented this month, according to our current exchange rate, is $42.
“So if you divide N70,000 by N1,650, it gives you $42. The working people are much, much poorer now than we were so many years ago. So this opportunity will depreciate, and that affects the quality of life and everything.”
Oshiomhole also said the Federal Government and other states generating high revenues should pay workers more than the agreed N70,000 minimum wage.
He recalled how he declared a strike to compel the Lagos State government under Bola Tinubu to pay above the N5,000 minimum wage during his time as the NLC president.
He said, “A serious employer of labour should not pay minimum wage. They should pay much more. A major employer, like the civil service, should not pay the minimum wage. I expect that the Federal Government will, over time, adjust their minimum wage.
“When I was NLC president, we agreed that oil-producing states like Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa-Ibom, Lagos and those who have a huge revenue should pay not less than N7,000 minimum wages, the same as the federal.
“Interestingly, when we pursued this policy, the president was the governor of Lagos State. He showed me all the books and told me he could not afford to pay. I had to compel him.
“We organised strikes against this president, asking that he should use all the money necessary to pay salary, even if he can’t do any other thing.
“That’s my business. My brief was not to go and sympathise with the employers. My brief is to get them to squeeze out anything we can squeeze out.”
Oshiomole also called for the expansion of minimum wage law to domestic staff, among others, through the amendment of the law.
He said, “But again, if you look at the law in Nigeria, which I hope will be able to amend very soon, although the Federal Government and the states have agreed on a minimum wage, for example, at N70,000, there are still people who are paying less than that, even under the law, because it says you have to have about 25 to 50 employees minimum for that law to be applicable to a particular enterprise.
“But with the changing technology, a small ICT company employing 10 people can generate so much turnover. So, using the number of employees was appropriate when the economy was more broad-driven, not with ICT.”
He also explained that the wages in other countries, especially in California in the United States, could be fuelling the Japa syndrome experienced in the country.
According to him, an unskilled worker could earn as high as $2,560 in a month in California.
He said, “If you check with Google, you’ll find that California minimum wage as of today is $16 an hour.
“So if a worker works for eight hours a day as we do in Nigeria, eight hours will give you $128 a day. In a month, if you work for five days a week, for four weeks, you work for 20 days, you earn $2,560 in a month.
“That is the minimum wage for unskilled labour. How much does that translate to in a month if you convert by exchange rate?”
Expressing hope that the country would prosper despite the hardships faced by citizens, he urged the government to watch some of its policies.
He said, “Today, I mean, we are going through a challenging period, but as we say, tough times don’t last, tough people do. Nigerians are tough. This time will pass, and prosperity will be here again.
“We just need to watch our policy choices so that the gains of the past are not lost.”
News
Chelsea, Brentford shares the spoil in premier league’s goalless draw

Chelsea’s frustrations on the road continued on Sunday as they played out a drab 0-0 draw against Brentford in the Premier League. The fourth-placed Blues, desperate to solidify their position in the race for Champions League qualification, delivered another uninspiring display under manager Enzo Maresca. Much of the attention was focused on the decision to bench England forward Cole Palmer for almost an hour, sparking questions about the Italian boss’s priorities ahead of a crucial UEFA Conference League quarter-final clash with Legia Warsaw on Thursday. When Palmer was finally introduced, his impact was muted, with his only significant contribution being a missed chance over the crossbar.
Chelsea have a UEFA Conference League quarter-final trip to Legia Warsaw on Thursday, but Maresca’s priorities were questioned following the Blues’ insipid display.
The match itself offered little excitement, highlighting the struggles of both sides. Brentford, battling their own challenges of form at home, seemed unable to capitalize on Chelsea’s sluggish performance. Despite the Blues’ attempts to gain control, Maresca’s cautious tactical approach failed to generate clear-cut opportunities for his team. With Chelsea winless away from home in the league since December, the encounter at the Brentford Community Stadium was emblematic of their recurring troubles on the road. Fans and analysts alike questioned whether Maresca’s approach was adequate for a team still fighting for Champions League qualification amid an increasingly competitive field.
The spotlight on Cole Palmer’s absence from the starting lineup was another defining feature of the match. The England forward, widely regarded as a key player for Chelsea this season, could have provided the creativity and attacking edge the Blues sorely lacked throughout the game. Maresca’s decision to hold Palmer back drew criticism, especially given the urgency of securing vital points for Chelsea’s league ambitions. When Palmer did make his long-awaited entrance, the young star struggled to find his rhythm, leaving fans disappointed and underscoring the broader issues in Chelsea’s attacking play.
With Manchester City breathing down Chelsea’s neck in the Premier League standings, the stakes for Sunday’s result were high. The goalless draw opened the door for fifth-placed City to overtake Chelsea should they secure a win against Manchester United in the day’s late fixture. For the Blues, the outcome not only added pressure to their domestic campaign but also cast a shadow over their upcoming Europa Conference League clash. Maresca now faces the dual challenge of rejuvenating Chelsea’s confidence in Europe while addressing their league form, which could ultimately determine their fate in the pursuit of Champions League football next season.
Top copy trading platform
Discover the best copy trading platform. Copy expert traders’ strategies on Deriv cTrader.
Deriv.com
by TaboolaSponsored Links
The result also extended Brentford’s struggles at home, as they continued their winless streak in front of their fans. Both teams leave the match with unanswered questions about their form, tactics, and aspirations as the Premier League season enters a critical phase. For Chelsea, the disappointment underscores the need for decisive action from Maresca and his squad as they prepare for crucial fixtures on both domestic and continental fronts. Brentford, meanwhile, will aim to regroup and find ways to regain momentum in their remaining matches. The uneventful encounter serves as a reminder of the challenges faced by teams vying to navigate the pressure of top-flight football.
News
“How we imortalised Olunloyo before his death-Makinde

By Kayode Sanni-Arewa
Governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde has said he is happy that former governor of the State, Omololu Olunloyo was imortalised before his demise.
Makinde, in a condolence message by his media aide Sulaimon Olanrewaju on Sunday, said the country had lost a patriotic leader, an icon and one of its most cerebral former administrators with the politician’s demise.
The governor said it is sad that the late mathematical guru and administrator passed away before his 90th birthday.
“This death hits differently because I was looking forward to Baba’s 90th birthday, which would have come up on April 14. However, we have to submit to the will of God, who gives and takes lives as He wills.
“My joy is that our government immortalised and honoured Pa Olunloyo in his lifetime and he was present to witness it as we named the Ibadan Airport Road and the Leisure Park on the axis after him in recognition of his service to the state.
“May the Lord grant repose to his soul and give his family the fortitude to bear his demise,” Mr Makinde said.
The death of Mr Olunloyo was confirmed on Sunday morning through a statement by his family.
The deceased died just a few days before his 90th birthday, according to the statement.
News
Iran turns down Trump’s call for direct nuclear talks

Iran’s top diplomat has rejected direct negotiations with the United States as pointless, his office said Sunday, after US President Donald Trump said he preferred face-to-face talks over its nuclear programme.
Trump sent a letter to Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei last month calling for negotiations but warning of military action if diplomacy failed.
On Thursday, the US president said he favoured “direct talks”, arguing they were “faster” and offered a better understanding than going through intermediaries.
But Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said direct talks made no sense with a country “that constantly threatens to resort to force in violation of the UN Charter and that expresses contradictory positions from its various officials”.
“We remain committed to diplomacy and are ready to try the path of indirect negotiations,” he was quoted as saying in a statement issued by his ministry.
Iran keeps itself prepared for all possible or probable events, and just as it is serious in diplomacy and negotiations, it will also be decisive and serious in defending its national interests and sovereignty.”
On Saturday, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said his country was willing to engage in dialogue with the United States on an “equal footing”.
He also questioned Washington’s sincerity in calling for negotiations, saying “if you want negotiations, then what is the point of threatening?”
Iran and the United States have had no diplomatic relations since shortly after the 1979 Islamic Revolution with some regional countries like Oman playing a mediating role between the two sides.
Letter diplomacy
Trump’s letter was delivered to Iran via the United Arab Emirates, and Tehran responded at the end of March via the Sultanate of Oman.
On Sunday, the chief of staff of the Iranian armed forces, General Mohammad Bagheri, said Iran’s response stressed that “we seek peace in the region”.
“We are not the ones who start wars, but we will respond to any threat with all our might,” he said of the content of Iran’s response.
Western countries, led by the United States, have for decades accused Tehran of seeking to acquire nuclear weapons.
Iran rejects the allegation and maintains that its nuclear activities exist solely for civilian purposes.
In 2015, Iran reached a landmark deal with the permanent members of the UN Security Council, namely the United States, France, China, Russia, and the United Kingdom, as well as Germany, to limit its nuclear activities.
The 2015 agreement — known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action — gave Iran sanctions relief in exchange for curbs on its nuclear programme to guarantee that Tehran could not develop a nuclear weapon.
In 2018, during Trump’s first term in office, the United States withdrew from the agreement and reinstated biting sanctions on Iran.
A year later, Iran began rolling back on its commitments under the agreement and accelerated its nuclear programme.
On Monday, Ali Larijani, a close adviser to Khamenei, warned that while Iran was not seeking nuclear weapons, it would “have no choice but to do so” in the event of an attack against it.
-
Politics11 hours ago
Tinubu Gives Fani Kayode, Others New Appointments (See Full List)
-
News11 hours ago
DANGER! Ex-Soldier Abubakar Affan Vows to Kill VeryDarkMan ‘Like Deborah Samuel’
-
News14 hours ago
Why NYSC maybe extended by FG- Minister
-
News14 hours ago
Ibas moves to rehabilitate damaged Rivers LG secretariats
-
News11 hours ago
Just in: Ex-Oyo governor, Olunloyo is dead
-
News14 hours ago
Wike commissions another solar-powered market in Abuja
-
Economy13 hours ago
Crude prices slump to $65 first time since 2021
-
Economy14 hours ago
CBN allocates $197.71m into FX market to support naira