Connect with us

News

Lawyer Say 6 Cameroonian Lecturers, Others Detained Illegally

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

 

By Gloria Ikibah

Lawyer to six Cameroonian professors teaching in some Nigerian universities and four others, Barr Joseph Fru, has said that his clients were illegally imprisoned by the Cameroonian authorities.
Naijablitznews.com recalled that they had petitioned the House of Representatives to help secure their release after being allegedly abducted from Nigeria and imprisoned in Cameroon since January 2018.
The petitioners, all of Cameroonian nationality, of which the others include refugees and asylum seekers, said they were all legally resident in Nigeria.
According to their statement, they were illegally abducted  and deported from Nigeria on January 5th 2018 to Cameroon, on “frivolous allegations of plotting to destabilize the government of La Republique du Cameroon (LRC) President Mr. Paul Biya.”
They petitioned that they were unfairly tried and incarcerated.
In the petition they submitted to the House Committee on Public Petitions by their lawyers, they said two separate judgments in Nigeria had been ruled in their favour connection with the matter.
They stated that despite the judgement by Nigerian courts that their arrest and deportation were illegal hence they should be released and compensated financially, they were still being held at the Kondengui Security Detention facility in Cameroon.
They also added that in October 2022, the UN Human Rights Council Working Group on Arbitrary Detention (UN-HRC-WGAD) in Communication 59/2022 of 14th October 2022, found their arrest and detention by Nigeria and Cameroun arbitrary and illegal and it had asked both countries to unconditionally free the victims and pay them appropriate compensation.
At the penultimate hearing of the matter before the House Committee on Public Petitions a representative of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mohammed Manu, had said the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had no record if this petition.
He had said their findings revealed the matter was handled by the government as a security and legal matter.
Briefing reporters after another hearing on the matter on Tuesday, Fru said said they were optimistic by the intervention of the legislature in resolving the matter.
Fru, who was in the company of family members of those affected, said however rued that the representative of the United Nations and relevant agencies of the Nigerian government were missing at the hearing.
He said those who failed to turn up included the Attorney General of the Federation, Secretary to the Government of the Federation, UN High Commission Country Representative, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the National Intelligence Agency and the Department of State Services (DSS)
He said, “There is a clarification that we need to make that is fundamental and cardinal. They were abducted. They were not arrested. When you say someone is arrested, there is a legal course for them to be picked up by the forces of law and order. And in a normal arrest situation, you have probable cause that you are being suspected of committing a crime and before you get to that point, there has to be a procedure you follow to get either an arrest warrant or search warrant that may lead to their apprehension.
“But when someone arbitrarily without any legal course is picked up and then held for as long as they were held in Nigeria before being sent to Cameron that is called an abduction.
“An abduction does not end when we know where they are. That illegal act continues and abides with them until that illegality is cured. And to this point that illegality has not been cured and that is why we are still in prison.
“The second thing is that they were not repatriated. You repatriate someone when you go through a legal channel and you exhaust all the legal processes and the court decides that they go back to where they came from to answer in that jurisdiction. Before you repatriate someone there has to be bilateral treaty that is observed. None of that in this case.
“We adjourned for 11 June 2024 because the committee is not happy with the fact that the last time they were elements of the government of the executive arm that were required to be at the hearing but none of them showed up.
“So motions were moved and it was adopted that these entities should necessarily appear in the next hearing so that resolution to this can be taken. In the event they do not show up, the committee is ready to move forward. How they move forward depends on their deliberation and that is above my pay grade.
“The Chairman said they were going to give these entities a last chance to appear so they can have enough information to go by and come up with a resolution.”
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Warning: Undefined variable $user_ID in /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/themes/zox-news/comments.php on line 49

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

Just in: Ex-HoR spokesperson Zakari Mohammed emerges Kwara ADC primary consensus guber candidate

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

..promises party chieftains, supporters an unwavering loyalty

A former House of Representatives spokesperson, Hon Zakari Mohammed has emerged the gubernatorial candidate of African Democratic Congress ADC for Kwara state in the 2027 general elections.

Mohammed a frontline politician emerged as a consensus candidate of the party, in Kwara, he was a former Commissioner for Information and Energy is a strong grassroots politician who has at different times actively participated in both state and federal politics.

In a message gratitude to party chieftains and party loyalists, Mohammed thanked them all for the massive support he enjoyed during the primary.

Advertisement

He said:”The overwhelming confidence reposed in me by our national leadership, state leaders, stakeholders, and the teeming members of the African Democratic Congress across Kwara State, in adopting me as the consensus Governorship candidate of our great party, is deeply humbling and profoundly appreciated.

“I sincerely thank every leader and member of the party for this rare demonstration of trust, unity, and commitment to the collective aspiration of building a better Kwara State anchored on justice, competence, accountability, and people-oriented governance.
I particularly commend my colleagues within the Kwara leadership structure of the party for their patriotism, maturity, dedication, and genuine love for Kwara State in arriving at this historic consensus.

“Their sacrifices and determination to place the interest of the people above personal ambition have once again shown that ADC remains a party driven by democratic ideals, inclusiveness, and service to humanity.

“I accept this enormous responsibility with utmost humility and a deep sense of duty. I wish to assure all party members and the good people of Kwara State that I shall not betray the confidence bestowed upon me. By the grace of God, and with the collective support of our people, victory is certain.

Advertisement

“I call on all Kwarans and Nigerians who desire genuine change to massively support and vote for all ADC candidates from top to bottom in the forthcoming elections. The current economic hardship, suffering, and hopelessness imposed on Nigerians under the administration of the All Progressives Congress can only be reversed through purposeful leadership and people-centered governance.

“Our party stands firmly against godfatherism, political intimidation, and imposed leadership. In ADC, the people remain the center of our democratic process.

“Our members, supporters, and voters are our greatest strength and the premium focus of our attention, as clearly enshrined in democratic principles.

“Together, we shall rescue Kwara State and contribute meaningfully to the rebuilding of Nigeria.
Thank you all and may God bless Kwara State and the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Troops Repel Terrorists’ Attack on Military Post in North-east, Eliminate 12 ISWAP/Boko Haram Fighters

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Troops of the Joint Task Force (North East), Operation Hadin Kai (OPHK), have eliminated 12 ISWAP and Boko Haram fighters during a failed attack on a military position in the Kirawa axis of Sector 1 OPHK Area of Responsibility in the early hours of May 22, 2026.

The operation was carried out under Operation Desert Sanity and Siege Operations after suspected terrorists attempted to infiltrate positions occupied by troops of the 153 Task Force Battalion and other allied forces along the Nigeria-Cameroon border axis.

According to the Media Information Officer of Joint Task Force (North East) Operation Hadin Kai, Lieutenant Colonel Sani Uba, the attack was promptly detected and effectively repelled by troops and members of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF), who responded with superior firepower and maintained control of their positions throughout the encounter.

The terrorists were subsequently forced to abandon the mission and retreat towards the Cameroon axis after suffering heavy casualties during the gun battle.

Advertisement

“Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance assets, as well as platforms of the Air Component of OPHK and partner forces, provided coordinated support during the operation.

“Following the engagement, troops confirmed the neutralisation of 12 terrorists, while several others reportedly escaped with gunshot wounds, as evidenced by blood trails along their withdrawal routes.

“Recovered items included AK-47 rifles, rocket-propelled grenade systems, ammunition, and a PKT machine gun, further weakening the operational capability of the insurgents in the area,” the statement said.

Troops of OPHK, working alongside the Civilian Joint Task Force, have continued exploitation operations to track fleeing terrorists and recover additional weapons and equipment, while maintaining heightened vigilance across the area.

Advertisement

The Joint Task Force reaffirmed its commitment to sustaining pressure on terrorist groups until they are completely neutralised across the theatre of operations.

The military high command also commended the troops for their gallantry, professionalism, and swift response, which it described as the third successful operation recorded within the week, urging them to sustain the operational momentum in the interest of national security.

Continue Reading

News

Africa needs $2.8 trillion by 2030 to meet climate goals — Report

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Africa will require an estimated $2.8 trillion between 2020 and 2030 to effectively tackle climate change and meet its commitments under the Paris Agreement.

A new report policy analysis by Harrison Rehoboth Consulting, states that the continent needs about $277 billion annually to fund climate adaptation and mitigation projects.

The investment is aimed at reducing the impact of floods, droughts, desertification, and other environmental challenges threatening livelihoods across the region.

Femi Sekoni, spokesperson for Harrison Rehoboth Consulting, said the funding is critical to strengthen infrastructure, protect vulnerable communities, improve food security, expand renewable energy, and support a transition to cleaner, more sustainable economies.

Advertisement

Despite the growing climate crisis, the report notes that Africa remains heavily dependent on foreign sources for climate financing. Domestic investors contribute only a small portion of available funds.

Local institutions including banks, pension funds, insurance firms, and private investors account for roughly 10% of climate finance flowing into the continent. International organisations and development partners provide the larger share.

Uneven distribution and structural barriers

Climate financing across Africa remains unevenly distributed. Countries with stronger financial systems and investment structures—South Africa, Egypt, Nigeria, Morocco, and Kenya—attract a significant percentage of available funding.

Advertisement

Many other African countries facing severe climate threats struggle to attract large-scale investment.

The report cites weak institutions, limited project preparation capacity, policy uncertainties, and concerns over investment risk as key barriers.

The analysis also raises concerns about the structure of climate financing available to African countries.

A large portion comes in the form of loans rather than grants or concessional financing, which could worsen debt burdens for nations already facing rising debt-servicing obligations and economic pressure.

Advertisement

Climate adaptation projects such as flood control systems, drought resilience programmes, and coastal protection infrastructure often provide social and environmental benefits but generate little direct revenue.

This makes loan repayment difficult for governments.

The report notes that rising debt levels have fueled global discussions around climate justice and the need for wealthier nations to provide more grant-based support to vulnerable countries facing the harsh effects of climate change.

The report acknowledges efforts by institutions such as the African Development Bank and some African countries, including Rwanda, Kenya, Senegal, Egypt, and South Africa, to expand climate investment initiatives and develop financing frameworks capable of attracting private investors.

Advertisement

However, Harrison Rehoboth Consulting stresses that Africa’s climate finance gap cannot be closed through international promises alone.

It calls for stronger domestic financial systems, improved governance, better project planning, and reforms in global financial institutions to make climate funding more accessible.

Key recommendations include: increasing concessional financing and grants for adaptation projects; improving collaboration between governments and private investors; strengthening policies that encourage long-term investment in climate and infrastructure projects; and building domestic financial capacity to reduce over-reliance on external funding.

The report concludes that closing Africa’s climate finance gap will require coordinated action at national, regional, and global levels to ensure funding reaches the countries and communities most exposed to climate risk.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News