Connect with us

Economy

CBN threatens sanction over cash scarcity at ATMs

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The Central Bank of Nigeria has threatened to impose fines on erring players in the financial sector over cash scarcity at Automated Teller Machines.

This announcement was made by the CBN Governor, Olayemi Cardoso, on Friday at the annual Bankers’ Dinner organised by the Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria in Lagos.

There have been reports of cash scarcity at banks in recent times both at ATMs and over the counter in banks.

Cardoso stated, “We also recognise the ongoing challenges with cash availability at ATMs, which disproportionately affect ordinary Nigerians.

Advertisement

“To address this, we are conducting spot checks across the Deposit Money banks, and we impose penalties on the underperforming institutions. Effective December 1. 2024, customers are encouraged to report any difficulties with joint cash from bank branches or ATMs directly to the CBN through designated phone numbers and email addresses for their respective states.

“Guidelines will be distributed widely to raise public awareness. We will also urge full regulative compliance by all stakeholders, including mobile money operators and POS agents, to promote digital transaction channels and improve service delivery. I repeat, financial institutions found engaging in malpractices or sabotage will face changing penalties.

“The CBN will continue to maintain a robust cash offering to meet the country’s needs, particularly during high demand periods such as the festive season and year-end.”

The CBN governor also stated that so far, nearly N1tn has been recovered from development programmes.

Advertisement

Cardoso had announced the discontinuation of intervention programs at the 2023 Bankers Dinner and revealed that CBN pumped over N10tn into the economy through different initiatives in sectors ranging from agriculture, aviation, power, youth and many others.

He said, “As previously noted, the Central Bank’s return to orthodox monetary policy means that we will refrain from direct intervention in developmental initiatives. That said, I am pleased to report that as of October 2024, nearly N1tn has been recovered or repaid under previous development finance programs, thanks to the enhanced monitoring and enforcement of the guideline.

“Our focus remains on ensuring the effective utilization and recovery of outstanding loans within the framework of established guidelines. While development finance has a role in the economy of Nigerians, it must be approached with proper governance to achieve meaningful impacts.”

“On the outlook, Cardoso projected that with the improved framework for deploying products targeting the Nigerian diaspora and efforts to establish a well-founded FX market, “We anticipate increased diaspora and foreign investment over the next 12 months building on more resilient and liquid FX markets.”

Advertisement

He added that the apex bank has in its sight a monthly inflow of $1m in diaspora remittance.

“I recall when we took the view that it was important to focus on the diaspora remittances, and at that time, we said double. People thought it was an impossible thing to do, and it happened. As a result of that, we are even more happy to look at a target of $1m per month in the not-too-distant future,” he added.

Meanwhile, the CIBN conferred fellowship of the institute on the CBN governor and the governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu.

Some dignitaries at the event include the Minister of Budget and Economic Planning of Nigeria, Atiku Bagudu, Chairman, the Senate Committee On Banking, Insurance and Other Financial Institutions, Senator Tokunbo Abiru, among others.

Advertisement

Economy

How to apply: FG opens access to 250,000 free business name registrations

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The Federal Government has opened access to 250,000 free business name registrations for eligible entrepreneurs across Nigeria as part of efforts to support the growth and development of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs).

The initiative, approved under the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, is designed to ease the cost of formalising small businesses and encourage more entrepreneurs to register their businesses.

Interested and eligible entrepreneurs have been advised to apply through the official SMEDAN portal at portal.smedan.gov.ng to become beneficiaries of the programme.

The registration is completely free, with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) expected to process the business name registration without charging applicants.

Advertisement

The government also warned entrepreneurs to be wary of fraudsters who may attempt to exploit the programme.

Applicants have been advised not to pay anyone claiming to have the ability to fast-track or secure their registration, as no payment is required for the approved free registration.

Entrepreneurs seeking to benefit from the initiative are therefore encouraged to use only the official SMEDAN portal and avoid sharing payments or personal information with unauthorised agents.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Economy

Over 5,000 fibre cuts recorded in six months – NCC

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has disclosed that more than 5,000 fibre-optic cable cut incidents were recorded across the country in the first six months of 2026, with road construction, excavation and related civil works identified among the major causes.

The Executive Vice-Chairman of the NCC, Dr Aminu Maida, disclosed this on Tuesday at a stakeholders’ workshop on the protection of fibre-optic cables during road construction, excavation and other activities in Nigeria.

Maida said the high number of incidents required stronger collaboration between telecommunications operators, road contractors, government agencies, regulators and security institutions to prevent further damage to critical telecommunications infrastructure.

According to him, many of the incidents occurred because of inadequate coordination among stakeholders involved in road and other construction activities. He said the consequences of fibre cuts extended beyond the immediate physical damage to cables, stressing that they could disrupt essential services and affect millions of Nigerians.

Advertisement

The NCC boss recalled the nationwide telecommunications disruption in February 2024, when fibre cuts, including those caused by road construction, affected one of the major telecommunications operators. He said millions of subscribers were unable to make calls, send messages or access the internet for several hours, while subscribers who moved to alternative networks caused congestion on those networks.

According to him, the incident demonstrated how damage to one network could quickly have wider national consequences.

“In the first six months of this year alone, more than 5,000 fibre cut incidents were reported from road excavation, construction, and related civil work. A damaged fibre cable is therefore not simply a cost to an operator, it is a cost to Nigerians and to the wider economy.

“Those affected were not numbers in an incident report. They were parents, businesses, workers, and citizens cut off from people and services on which they depended on,” Maida said.

Advertisement

He stressed that preventing fibre cuts should be prioritised rather than waiting to repair damaged infrastructure after incidents had occurred.

Maida said telecommunications operators must provide accurate information on the location of their infrastructure and respond promptly when contacted before construction begins. He added that contractors must check for underground infrastructure before excavation and make adequate plans for its protection.

The NCC chief also urged regulators and security agencies to provide guidance and ensure accountability, stressing that coordination should form part of the design and execution of every relevant infrastructure project.

He said the commission remained committed to working with public and private stakeholders to make coordination a standard practice in road construction and other civil works.

Advertisement

Earlier, the Director of Critical National Assets and Infrastructure Protection in the Office of the National Security Adviser, AVM Effiong Ewa, said the protection of fibre-optic infrastructure was a shared national responsibility.

Ewa noted that telecommunications infrastructure had been designated as Critical National Information Infrastructure, warning that negligence or interference that exposed the assets to damage could constitute an offence under Nigeria’s legal framework.

He called for strict adherence to established protocols, guidelines and procedures during construction and maintenance activities.

Also speaking, the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Works, Mr Rafiu Adeladan, said the ministry recognised that road and telecommunications infrastructure often operated within the same physical space.

Advertisement

He said excavation, grading, reconstruction, utility relocation and other road activities could inadvertently damage vital fibre-optic infrastructure where adequate coordination and precautions were not in place.

Adeladan called for stronger mechanisms for coordination and information sharing before and during road construction activities. He said road contractors, consultants and relevant agencies should have access to accurate information on the location of telecommunications infrastructure before excavation begins.

On his part, the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy, Engr Nadungu Gagare, said protecting telecommunications infrastructure was not the responsibility of one institution, but required collaboration among government ministries, regulators, security agencies, construction companies, utility providers and other stakeholders.

Gagare said the Federal Government had established a tripartite standing committee on the protection of fibre-optic infrastructure to strengthen collaboration and promote a coordinated approach to infrastructure protection.

Advertisement

He said the committee would also promote compliance with established standards and right-of-way regulations, improve information sharing and support measures to prevent avoidable damage.

The workshop, organised by the Federal Ministry of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Works, NCC, Office of the National Security Adviser and Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, is aimed at developing practical measures to protect fibre-optic cables during road construction and other civil works.

Continue Reading

Economy

NRS boss, Adedeji under fire over Nigerian economy comment

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Nigerians have tackled the Executive Chairman of the Nigeria Revenue Service, Zacch Adedeji, over his recent comment about critics of economic reforms under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

DAILY POST reports that in a viral video, Adedeji questioned critics of Tinubu’s economic reforms about what they would have done differently.

“That is what I get worried about when I listen to some people about the economy and everything.

“Just ask them, what would they do differently? Mr President, I don’t want you to wonder. You have elevated the system from what they know and wonder,” Adedeji told President Tinubu.

Advertisement

Adedeji’s comment triggered reactions from Nigerians on X.

Reacting, a development professional and former Director-General of the Bureau of Public Service Reforms, Joe Abah, described Adedeji’s comment as insensitive.

“If true, this is a deeply insensitive statement.

“But to answer the question of what I would have done differently, I can just look at the UK’s Andy Burnham, who is trying to tackle the cost of living.

Advertisement

“In just 19 days, he has removed the 5 percent VAT on domestic electricity (it is 7.5 percent in Nigeria); capped bus fares at £2 per ride by reimbursing private sector operators for the difference in real costs; pledged a 20 percent cut in business rates for pubs and clubs (an important part of British social life); maintained and adjusted Universal Credit to favour the poorest and most vulnerable.

“So, I would have used the increasing tax revenue to tackle the cost of living. That is what I would have done differently at my own level. Hope that helps,” he said on X on Saturday.

Similarly, a lawyer known, Vena Ikem wrote on X: “He should ask himself what all the millions of dollars he is spending mean to the tax he is collecting even from poor people. If karma truly fulfils, this man will get his just deserts in the land of the living. This arrogance is from getting away with stealing tax money.”

Also, Adekunle Oderinde wrote on X: “The entire convoy of Zacch Adedeji is more expensive and longer than the convoy of UK Prime Minister, yet he is talking about suffering Nigerians complaining about the effects of the policies of his principal, President Tinubu, who drives an expensive and long convoy on scarce resources.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News