News
Send Your Kid To School or get jailed – Gombe govt cautions parents
- /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2025/09/Screenshot_20250922-184935.jpg&description=Send Your Kid To School or get jailed – Gombe govt cautions parents', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2025/09/Screenshot_20250922-184935.jpg&description=Send Your Kid To School or get jailed – Gombe govt cautions parents', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
By Kayode Sanni-Arewa
The Gombe State government says it would send parents and guardians to jail for not sending their children to schools.
Babaji Babadidi, Chairman, Gombe State Universal Basic Education Board, SUBEB, said this on Monday at the inauguration of the 2025/2026 School Enrolment Campaign at Amada in Akko Local Government Area of the state.
He said that defaulting parents could face a two-month jail term under Section 19(2) of the SUBEB Amendment Law 2021.
Babadidi said the measure was necessary to ensure that every child has access to quality basic education.
“Every parent should ensure that his child or ward attends and completes primary, junior and senior secondary education.
“Any parent, who contravene Section 19(2) of the law commits an offence and is liable, upon conviction, to pay a fine or serve a one-month prison sentence.
“Subsequent convictions also attract a substantial fine or imprisonment for a term of two months,” he said.
Babadidi said prior to this enrolment campaign, the state government adopted a carrot approach by providing free education.
“However, if we fail to meet our target of enrolling 400,000 students into primary schools this session, we will revert to the stick approach by enforcing the law.”
The Commissioner for Education, Prof. Aishatu Maigari, said the state has over 700,000 out-of-school children.
According to Maigari, the North-East region accounts for 15 per cent of Nigeria’s 18.2 million out-of-school children.
“We cannot sit and fold our arms while our children remain out-of-school. We will ensure every child is enrolled. Every child will receive quality education, and also learn a trade, which does not necessarily mean working for the government.
“An educated person can become an employer of labour through skills and entrepreneurship acquired in school,” she said.
News
SAD: NYSC Doctor Slumps, Dies In Zamfara One week to completion of service
A member of the National Youth Service Corps, Dr. Ibrahim Abdulmumin Adeiza, has reportedly died in Zamfara State barely seven days before the completion of his mandatory one-year national service.
The late corps member was serving at Yarima Bakura Specialist Hospital in Gusau before his sudden death on May 13, 2026.
According to reports, Adeiza, who was a medical doctor, allegedly slumped around 1:00 p.m. after stepping out with a colleague to purchase a plastic bottle.
A friend of the deceased, Engr. Habibu Nura, disclosed that the young doctor passed away about an hour later, leaving colleagues and loved ones in shock.
Nura explained that there had been no visible sign of illness prior to the incident, adding that they had spent time together shortly before the tragic development.
According to him, the deceased appeared healthy and cheerful, as they had been laughing and chatting barely one hour before his death.
The Information and Public Relations Officer of the Zamfara State Ministry of Health, Suleiman Isah, confirmed the incident in an official statement issued on Wednesday.
The statement noted that the Zamfara State Government sympathised with the NYSC and the family of the deceased over the painful loss.
“Zamfara State Government has condoled with the National Youth Service Corps and the family of Dr. Ibrahim Abdulmumin Adeiza, a corps member serving at Yarima Bakura Specialist Hospital, who passed away while carrying out his national service duties,” the statement read.
The Commissioner for Health in Zamfara State, Nafisa Muhammad Maradun, also expressed sadness over the death of the young doctor, describing it as a huge loss to the health sector and the state.
According to the commissioner, the late corps member was known for his dedication, hard work and commitment to saving lives.
She prayed for Almighty Allah to forgive his shortcomings and grant him Aljannatul Firdaus, while also asking God to comfort his family, friends, colleagues and members of the NYSC community during the difficult period.
News
“Terrorists Must Not Hold Sway In Yorubaland” — Afenifere Raises Alarm Over Oyo School Abductions
The pan-Yoruba socio-political organisation, Afenifere, has expressed serious concern over the recent coordinated attacks on schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, warning that urgent action must be taken to stop terrorists and kidnappers from establishing a presence in the South-West.
The group said the attacks, which reportedly resulted in the abduction of pupils and school officials, had heightened fears about the spread of violent crimes across Yorubaland.
In a statement issued by its National Publicity Secretary, Jare Ajayi, Afenifere disclosed that its leader, Reuben Fasoranti, was deeply disturbed by the incident, especially as it occurred during the same week he celebrated his 100th birthday.
According to Ajayi, Fasoranti was saddened by the attack and sympathised with the victims and their families while praying for the speedy recovery of those injured during the invasion.
The attack reportedly occurred on Friday, May 15, 2026, when armed men stormed three schools in Oriire Local Government Area.
The affected schools were Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School, Esiele; and L.A. Primary School.
Reports from the affected communities indicated that no fewer than 45 pupils were abducted during the coordinated attack.
The incident has triggered fear and tension across Oyo State, with residents and parents demanding urgent intervention to rescue the victims and prevent similar attacks in other communities.
International media reports also described the Oyo incident as unusual for the South-West region, where large-scale school abductions have historically been less frequent compared to northern Nigeria.
Authorities confirmed that three suspects had already been arrested in connection with the attack, while security agencies continue efforts to determine the exact number of abducted children and secure their release.
The development came around the same period as another school abduction incident in Borno State, further intensifying concerns about the growing insecurity around schools nationwide.
According to reports by the Associated Press, more than 80 children were feared missing following attacks on schools in Oyo and Borno states.
Afenifere, however, criticised the response of South-West governors, arguing that recent actions by state governments did not reflect the seriousness of the growing security threat facing the region.
The group said recent kidnappings and attacks in the South-West and parts of Kwara State suggest that terrorists and criminal gangs are becoming increasingly emboldened.
Ajayi stated that the situation had reinforced fears that armed groups may be attempting to spread their activities deeper into southern Nigeria.
The organisation questioned the effectiveness of earlier security initiatives announced by governors in the region, including resolutions reached by South-West governors, CCTV projects reportedly installed in Ogun State, surveillance aircraft acquired by the Oyo State Government, and security measures introduced in Ondo State.
According to Afenifere, the constitutional responsibility of government remains the protection of lives and property, insisting that governors in the South-West must demonstrate stronger commitment to safeguarding residents.
“In view of the fact that the primary duty of government is the security and welfare of the people, governments in the South-Western states of Nigeria must prove that they are alive to their constitutionally assigned responsibilities,” the statement partly read.
“Everything must be done to ensure that no area in the region experiences an attack by kidnappers and bandits anymore.”
The organisation called on the governors of Lagos State, Ogun, Oyo, Osun State, Ondo and Ekiti State to prioritise the safety of residents above all else.
Afenifere stressed that terrorists and kidnappers must not be allowed to operate freely in any part of Yorubaland.
“Every necessary step must be taken to ensure that terrorists do not have a place, not to talk of a foothold, in Yorubaland – from Lagos up to Kogi, including Edo and Delta states,” the group warned.
Despite its criticism, Afenifere commended the swift visit of Tunji Disu to Oyo State following the attack.
The organisation also welcomed the inauguration of the Police Violent Crime Response Unit, expressing hope that the initiative would help combat kidnapping, banditry and other violent crimes across the country.
News
Newly appointed Dennis Osadebay University VC, Prof Aghalino hits the ground running, unveils strategic vision to reposition varsity
The newly appointed Vice Chancellor of Dennis Osadebay
University, Prof. Samuel Ovuete Aghalino, has unveiled a forward
looking strategic vision aimed at repositioning the University for
greater relevance, innovation and impact in the higher education
landscape.
Anchored on the principles of Global Reach, Academic Excellence,
and Gown and Town Engagement (GRAEGTE), the vision reflects
the Vice Chancellor’s commitment to transforming the University
into a globally competitive, socially responsive and development
driven institution.
Apparently recognising the growing importance of international collaboration in higher education, the Vice
Chancellor’s vision places strong emphasis on global visibility and strategic partnerships.
The
administration intends to establish and deepen collaborations with reputable institutions, research
bodies and development organisations across the world.
This global outlook is expected to enhance staff and student exchange programmes, attract
research grants, encourage innovation and position the University as a respected institution within
the international academic community.
The vision also includes strengthening digital presence and
embracing emerging technologies that support global learning and engagement.
ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE
At the core of the administration’s vision is the pursuit of academic excellence through quality
teaching, impactful research, innovation and strict adherence to global best practices.
The Vice
Chancellor is committed to creating an enabling environment that promotes intellectual growth,
staff development, student success and academic integrity.
The administration also seeks to strengthen academic programmes, encourage interdisciplinary
research, improve infrastructure and expand opportunities for scholarly advancement.
Through
these efforts, the University aims to produce graduates who are not only academically sound but
also equipped with the skills and character required to thrive in a rapidly evolving world.
GOWN AND TOWN ENGAGEMENT
In line with the philosophy that universities must serve as catalysts for societal development, the
Vice Chancellor is committed to strengthening the relationship between the University and its host
communities through a robust Gown and Town engagement initiative.
This aspect of the vision focuses on promoting mutually beneficial partnerships between the
University and society by encouraging community based research, social intervention
programmes, entrepreneurship initiatives and public enlightenment activities.
The goal is to ensure
that the knowledge and expertise within the University contribute meaningfully to solving real life
challenges and advancing community development.
Through this strategic vision, the Vice Chancellor seeks to foster a culture of excellence,
inclusiveness, innovation and service, while positioning Dennis Osadebay University as a leading
institution dedicated to academic distinction and societal transformation.
-
News17 hours agoDOCUMENTS: Ward Collated Results Show Prof Ihonvbere Won APC Reps Primaries
-
News16 hours agoFull list: Five Serving APC HoR Members Lose Return Tickets In Cross River
-
News21 hours agoFacts they never told you: ADSC boss, Oluwafemi unveils historical research on crime, drugs, organised violence in South Africa
-
News18 hours agoDekor, Amaewhule, Others Win APC Reps Primaries In Rivers
-
News18 hours agoAfrica’s Unbroken Stand: 53 Nations, One Truth and the Futility of Taiwan’s Diplomatic Illusions
-
Economy8 hours agoCBN Reforms Drive FX Inflows To $112b, Investors’ Confidence Rises
-
News8 hours agoAPC returns 20 Kano Reps through consensus, holds four contested primaries
-
Metro8 hours agoDriver Kills Police Officer On Lagos Third Mainland Bridge
