Foreign
US threatens shipping firms with sanctions if they pay Iran tolls
- /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/03/Strait-of-Hormuz-1000x600.jpg&description=US threatens shipping firms with sanctions if they pay Iran tolls', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/03/Strait-of-Hormuz-1000x600.jpg&description=US threatens shipping firms with sanctions if they pay Iran tolls', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
The US has warned shipping companies they could face sanctions if they pay Iran for safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz.
An alert on Friday by the US Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) warned US persons and companies were generally banned from paying Iranian government entities, and non-US persons may risk exposure to sanctions if they pay.
“Maritime industry participants involved with vessels calling at Iranian ports face significant sanctions risk under multiple sanctions authorities targeting Iran’s shipping sector and ports”, OFAC said.
Iran has severely limited traffic through the strait since the war began in February.
The US has also enforced a naval blockade on Iranian ports.
Iran has called the US interception of ships entering and leaving Iranian ports under the blockade “piracy”.
Tehran says it has collected tolls from ships in order to navigate freely through the strait, with Hamidreza Haji Bababei, deputy speaker of Iran’s Parliament, last week claiming the first toll revenue had been deposited with the country’s Central Bank.
No further detail was provided on the amount of the toll, the method of collection nor who paid it. The BBC could not independently verify this claim.
OFAC’s alert said payments could involve cash as well as “digital assets, offsets, informal swaps, or other in-kind payments,” including charitable donations and payments at Iranian embassies.
The agency warned that non-US persons who pay could also face civil and criminal enforcement liability if payments cause US persons, such as insurers and financial institutions, to violate sanctions.
OFAC said it “will continue to aggressively target Iran’s main revenue-generating sectors, in particular its petroleum and petrochemical sectors”.
The US Treasury also announced sanctions on three Iranian foreign currency exchange houses on Friday, saying they have converted oil revenue into more usable currencies.
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said his agency would “relentlessly target the regime’s ability to generate, move and repatriate funds, and pursue anyone enabling Tehran’s attempts to evade sanctions”.
After the US and Israel attacked Iran on 28 February, Iran has been targeting and striking ships passing through the Strait of Hormuz, including seizing two of them.
The US has also enforced a naval blockade since 13 April, stopping all ships from travelling to or from Iranian ports.
Trump had hoped the blockade would put pressure on Iran by targeting its revenue from the tolls and oil sales.
US Central Command (Centcom) said on Friday that 45 commercial ships have been told to turn around since the blockade began.
About 3,000 ships typically pass through the strait each month, but that number has dropped sharply to just a handful each day.
The strait is a crucial shipping channel for oil and other goods, including food, medicines, and technological supplies.
Map titled “US blockade of Iran’s Gulf coast” showing Iran’s southern coastline along the Persian Gulf, Strait of Hormuz and Gulf of Oman highlighted in red to indicate a blockade. Iranian territorial waters are shaded, with a caption stating, “No ships permitted to approach or leave Iranian coast.”
Ports and major jetties are marked with purple dots, including Kharg Island and Bandar Abbas. Surrounding seas are labelled, including the Arabian Sea, and a distance scale, source credit, and BBC logo are visible.
UNHCR, the UN refugee agency, said on Friday that the closure of key maritime routes has forced the use of longer and more expensive alternatives to transport aid.
Higher transport and fuel costs “disproportionately affect people in emergencies”, including refugees and displaced people, the agency said.
The cost of delivering aid to Sudan, entering its fourth year of war, has doubled in recent months, as rerouting shipments around the Cape of Good Hope in South Africa adds up to 25 days in delivery time.
The UN agency said it has adapted quickly by rerouting sea cargo and relying more on land corridors. But it warned that “if instability in the Middle East persists, rising costs, delays and limited transport capacity are likely to constrain humanitarian operations further.”
The US and Iran began a fragile ceasefire on 8 April. Since then, the two countries have held talks, but no long-term deal has been reached.
Iran gave mediators in Pakistan a proposal to end the war on Thursday night, according to Iran’s state-run IRNA news agency. However, US President Donald Trump has responded negatively to the proposal.
“They want to make a deal, I’m not excited, so we’ll see what happens,” Trump said on Friday.
He added: “Because they have no military left, essentially. I’m not sure if they ever get there.”
The president did not give details about the proposal or explain why he was not satisfied, but said: “They’re asking for things that I can’t agree to.”
He also voiced frustration with Iran’s leadership, saying: “It’s a very disjointed leadership. They all want to make a deal, but they’re all messed up.”
After Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei was killed in US and Israeli strikes on the first day of the war, his son Mojtaba Khamenei succeeded him. However, decision-making seems less centralised than it was before the war.
On Thursday, Trump said he was briefed on options for Iran ranging from “blast the hell out of them and finish them forever” to “make a deal”.
The conflict began after the US and Israel carried out wide-ranging strikes on Iran in February. Iran responded by launching attacks on Israel and US-allied states in the Gulf.
The US and Israel said Iran was trying to develop a nuclear bomb, which Tehran has strongly denied. [BBC]
Foreign
Woman swept away as flash floods paralyse New York City
Torrential rainfall has brought parts of New York City to a standstill after flash floods submerged roads, disrupted transport systems, and triggered chaotic scenes across multiple boroughs, including Queens and Brooklyn.
A viral video circulating on social media captured the intensity of the flooding, showing a woman struggling in powerful currents after attempting to escape a stranded bus.
The footage, widely shared online, highlighted the dangerous conditions as emergency responders rushed to affected areas.
Heavy downpours overwhelmed drainage systems on Wednesday, with authorities reporting that some areas received about 5 centimetres of rain within just one hour, turning streets and underpasses into fast-moving streams, leaving vehicles stranded and commuters trapped.
Reports say that in Brooklyn and Queens, the impact was particularly severe as floodwaters rose rapidly, forcing some motorists to abandon their vehicles while others waited for rescue on rooftops and elevated ground.
Transit authorities confirmed major disruptions across the city’s transport network.
Officials from New York Emergency Management issued urgent warnings as conditions worsened, advising residents to avoid floodwaters and move to higher ground where necessary.
Amid the ongoing crisis, authorities also referenced a separate fatal incident in Manhattan earlier in the week involving an open manhole.
The victim, identified as 56-year-old Donika Gocaj, died after accidentally stepping into a 10-foot-deep utility opening near Fifth Avenue.
They added, “Our thoughts remain with her family, and safety remains our top priority.”
Authorities say investigations into both the flooding impact and the manhole incident are ongoing as the city continues to recover from severe weather conditions.
Foreign
Trump may skip son’s wedding over Iran war – Report
United States President Donald Trump announced on Thursday, May 21, 2026, that he is uncertain whether he will attend his eldest son’s weekend wedding due to pressing geopolitical demands surrounding the war in Iran. The President’s eldest son, 48-year-old Donald Trump Jr., is scheduled to marry Palm Beach socialite Bettina Anderson, 39, over the Memorial Day holiday weekend in the Bahamas.
Despite the deeply personal milestone, the commander-in-chief revealed to reporters in the Oval Office that the worsening international conflict has severely restricted his schedule, complicating his ability to leave Washington during a critical diplomatic juncture.
The timing of the destination nuptials coincides with an intensely scrutinized push by the administration to broker an exit strategy for the highly unpopular war, which has dramatically deflated the President’s domestic approval ratings. Public dissatisfaction has intensified in recent weeks, with voters expressing deep anger over skyrocketing costs of living ahead of November’s high-stakes midterm elections.
The couple had initially explored hosting a grand, high-profile wedding at the White House, but those plans were ultimately scaled back to an intimate destination ceremony on a private island in the Bahamas to avoid political blowback during wartime.
Addressing the media regarding his potential travel plans, the President emphasized the precarious public relations situation he faces while American forces remain heavily engaged in the Middle East stalemate. “He’d like me to go. It’s going to be just a small little private affair and I’m going to try and make it,” Trump told reporters.
“I said, ‘This is not good timing for me. I have a thing called Iran and other things.’ That’s one I can’t win on. If I do attend, I get killed. If I don’t attend, I get killed … by the fake news, of course.”
Foreign
Xi, Putin signal united front against US in Beijing talks
Chinese leader Xi Jinping and visiting Russian President Vladimir Putin have signalled a united front against Washington during a summit in Beijing, warning against a global return to the “law of the jungle”.
In a joint statement, China and Russia took aim at US President Donald Trump’s plans for a $175bn “Golden Dome” defence system, which would create a new missile field in the Midwest.
The duo also criticised the expiry of the last US-Russia arms control treaty, which fell to the wayside in February when Trump failed to respond to Moscow’s proposal to extend it by a year.
Wednesday’s summit – which came a week after Xi hosted Trump in Beijing – kicked off with fanfare in the Chinese capital, complete with a red carpet and a military band playing both the Chinese and Russian national anthems.
In their opening remarks, the leaders emphasised strengthening ties and cooperation between Russia and China amid an increasingly fractured world order.
“Even against the backdrop of unfavourable external factors, our interaction and economic cooperation demonstrate strong momentum,” Russian media reported Putin telling Xi.
Xi meanwhile lauded the “unyielding relationship” between China and Russia.
“We have been able to continuously deepen our political mutual trust and strategic coordination with a resilience that remains unyielding despite trials and tribulations,” Xi said.
The Chinese leader also addressed the United States-Israeli war on Iran, telling his Russian counterpart that further conflict was “inadvisable” and a ceasefire was necessary.
“A comprehensive ceasefire is of utmost urgency, resuming hostilities is even more inadvisable and maintaining negotiations is particularly important,” Xi said.
A separate joint statement advised that “there is a danger of fragmentation of the international community and a return to the ‘law of the jungle’”.
“Attempts by a number of states to unilaterally manage global affairs, impose their interests on the entire world, and limit the sovereign development of other countries, in the spirit of the colonial era, have failed,” the statement added.
Energy talks
Among the chief topics of discussion was the energy sector, which Putin called the “driving force of economic cooperation” in Russian-Chinese relations.
China asserted itself as a major buyer of Russian oil and trading partner after Western countries largely cut economic ties with Moscow in response to Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine.
Al Jazeera’s Katrina Yu, reporting from Beijing, said that while the two leaders planned to sign some 40 agreements covering everything from the economy and tourism to education, energy security remained Putin’s priority.
“Since the war in Ukraine, any gas sales that were previously heading to Europe, that is all dried up, and Russia is in desperate need of revenue to replace that,” she said.
The talks did not lead to a new consensus on a long-discussed gas pipeline known as Power of Siberia 2, however.
Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov told Russian media that the two sides had reached a “basic understanding” on the pipeline, including its route, but that there was no “clear timeline” for a buildout.
Xi said that cooperation in energy and resource connectivity should be the “ballast stone” between the two countries, but did not mention the pipeline.
‘Sovereign foreign policy’
Although they received the same red-carpet welcome ceremony, Putin’s visit has so far contrasted sharply with Trump’s trip last week
The Russian president is marking 25 years of the Sino-Russian friendship and has visited China dozens of times, meeting with Xi on more than 40 other occasions.
“So this visit will really be about deepening existing coordination and cooperation,” Al Jazeera’s Yu said.
Putin pledged on Wednesday that Russia and China would pursue an “independent and sovereign” foreign policy programme together to play a “stabilising role on the global stage”.
Xi, for his part, said Beijing and Moscow had deepened “political mutual trust and strategic cooperation” in a world that is “increasingly chaotic” and where “hegemony is overwhelming”.
The comments made it clear that “Beijing and Moscow share a depth of established trust that simply does not exist between China and the US”, Yu said.
At the same time, “Xi is calling for a more multipolar world, where the US has less power and influence”, she added.
Putin is being accompanied by a large delegation of Russian businesspeople and government leaders.
In a video address released before meeting Xi, Putin said Russia and China were prepared to cooperate with each other on the “core interests of the two countries, including the protection of sovereignty and national unity”.
“We are not aligning against anyone, but working for the cause of peace and universal prosperity,” Putin said.
-
News7 hours agoPopular Rap Star Dies After Battling Cancer
-
News7 hours agoEx-Gov Abubakar, Halliru Jika emerge APC, ADC guber candidates in Bauchi
-
News6 hours ago2027: I’m not avoiding Atiku – Peter Obi
-
News6 hours ago2027: Saraki Unveils Kawu as Kwara PDP’s guber Consensus Candidate
-
News7 hours ago“You can’t meet El-Rufai” – ICPC bars ADC
-
News6 hours agoTCN gives update on blackout in Aso Rock, Nnamdi Azikiwe Int’l Airport, other parts of Abuja
-
News6 hours agoStrait of Hormuz Closure Stifles Nigeria’s Fragrance Business, Says Sirtified Perfumes CEO Adetayo Olowookere
-
News5 hours agoDr. Olotu Akpodiete Chairs Iwhreko Primary School 3rd Annual Athletics & Send Forth Ceremony
