Connect with us

Foreign

Iran delegation meets Pakistan PM ahead of negotiations with US

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

An Iranian government delegation met Pakistan’s prime minister on Saturday to discuss the terms of planned “make or break” negotiations to end the Middle East war with a US party led by Vice President JD Vance.

With the first talks underway at Islamabad’s Serena Hotel, Iranian media reported that the Iranian side would decide at the end of the meeting with Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif whether to go ahead with negotiations with the Americans.

Iran has previously said that any agreement on a permanent end to fighting must include the unfreezing of sanctioned Iranian assets and include an end to Israel’s war on Hezbollah in Lebanon, which Vance has said will not be up for discussion in Islamabad.

But both parties had arrived at the talks venue when the Iranian delegation led by parliamentary speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf met Sharif, having arrived overnight at an air base near the capital and disembarked to embrace Pakistan’s powerful army chief Asim Munir.

Advertisement

Munir, who shares a personal rapport with US President Donald Trump, also greeted Vance, escorting him down a red carpet at the Nur Khan air base, where US special envoy Steve Witkoff and Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner were waiting.

The warring parties still appeared to be far apart on key issues — including sanctions, Lebanon and the opening of the strategic Strait of Hormuz — and made no attempt to hide their mutual suspicion.

“Our experience in negotiating with the Americans has always been met with failure and broken promises,” Ghalibaf said shortly after landing, according to Iran’s state broadcaster.

Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, who is also part of the delegation, told his German counterpart in a call on Saturday that “Iran enters negotiations with complete distrust due to repeated breaches of commitments and betrayals by the United States”, the Tasnim news agency reported.

Advertisement

Vance said before leaving the US that if the other side was “willing to negotiate in good faith, we’re certainly willing to extend the open hand”.

– ‘Make or break’ –
But “if they’re going to try to play us, then they’re going to find the negotiating team is not that receptive”, he added.

The ceasefire is already under strain, notably from Israel’s continued strikes in Lebanon, which Iran and Pakistan insist is covered under the current truce.

Prime Minister Sharif, whose country’s down-to-the-wire mediation got both sides to the negotiating table this week, said talks would not be easy.

Advertisement

“An even more difficult stage lies ahead,” he said, referring to efforts to permanently end fighting that began with US-Israeli strikes on Iran on February 28, sparking Iranian retaliation against Israel and across the Gulf.

“This is that stage which, in English, is called the equivalent of ‘make or break.’”

– Islamabad plays host –
Iran — which brought a more than 70-member delegation to Pakistan — has insisted on the truce covering Lebanon and on the unfreezing of its assets for the Islamabad talks to go ahead, neither of which has materialised so far.

On the US side, Trump demanded the opening of the Strait of Hormuz as a condition for the two-week ceasefire.

Advertisement

The strait, through which one-fifth of the world’s crude passes, has not reopened to normal traffic, however, and Trump vowed on Friday to have it open soon “with or without” Iran’s cooperation.

He added that his top priority at the Islamabad talks was to ensure the Islamic republic had “no nuclear weapon. That’s 99 percent of it.”

Security was tight in the Pakistani capital on Saturday, with a heavy police and paramilitary presence on the streets and road diversions around the “red zone” where government and diplomatic buildings are located.

Pakistan has formulated a team of subject matter specialists to facilitate the two sides in negotiations on navigation, nuclear and other key matters, a diplomatic source familiar with the matter told AFP.

Advertisement

The negotiations will be closely watched by other key regional players, with Egypt and Turkey having helped with mediation, along with China, all of which Pakistan was still coordinating closely with for the talks, the source said.

Beijing has been sought as a possible guarantor of any lasting agreement, official sources have said, with Trump confirming to AFP that China helped get Tehran to the negotiating table.

– Violence in Lebanon –
Complicating the path to a permanent ceasefire was Israel’s assertion that the current truce does not cover Lebanon.

Israeli air strikes continued in Lebanon on Friday against Iran-backed Hezbollah despite the Iranian demand that they be halted.

Advertisement

Israel’s ambassador to the United States, Yechiel Leiter, said his country would hold discussions with Lebanon’s government in Washington next week but would not discuss a ceasefire with Hezbollah.

The militant group said overnight that it had carried out drone and rocket attacks on northern Israel, as well as on Israeli forces in southern Lebanon.

In Tehran, a 30-year-old resident told AFP he was sceptical negotiations would be successful, describing most of what Trump says as “pure noise and nonsense.”

AFP

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Foreign

Woman swept away as flash floods paralyse New York City

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Torrential rainfall has brought parts of New York City to a standstill after flash floods submerged roads, disrupted transport systems, and triggered chaotic scenes across multiple boroughs, including Queens and Brooklyn.

A viral video circulating on social media captured the intensity of the flooding, showing a woman struggling in powerful currents after attempting to escape a stranded bus.

The footage, widely shared online, highlighted the dangerous conditions as emergency responders rushed to affected areas.

Heavy downpours overwhelmed drainage systems on Wednesday, with authorities reporting that some areas received about 5 centimetres of rain within just one hour, turning streets and underpasses into fast-moving streams, leaving vehicles stranded and commuters trapped.

Advertisement

Reports say that in Brooklyn and Queens, the impact was particularly severe as floodwaters rose rapidly, forcing some motorists to abandon their vehicles while others waited for rescue on rooftops and elevated ground.

Transit authorities confirmed major disruptions across the city’s transport network.

Officials from New York Emergency Management issued urgent warnings as conditions worsened, advising residents to avoid floodwaters and move to higher ground where necessary.

Amid the ongoing crisis, authorities also referenced a separate fatal incident in Manhattan earlier in the week involving an open manhole.

Advertisement

The victim, identified as 56-year-old Donika Gocaj, died after accidentally stepping into a 10-foot-deep utility opening near Fifth Avenue.

They added, “Our thoughts remain with her family, and safety remains our top priority.”

Authorities say investigations into both the flooding impact and the manhole incident are ongoing as the city continues to recover from severe weather conditions.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Foreign

Trump may skip son’s wedding over Iran war – Report

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

United States President Donald Trump announced on Thursday, May 21, 2026, that he is uncertain whether he will attend his eldest son’s weekend wedding due to pressing geopolitical demands surrounding the war in Iran. The President’s eldest son, 48-year-old Donald Trump Jr., is scheduled to marry Palm Beach socialite Bettina Anderson, 39, over the Memorial Day holiday weekend in the Bahamas.

Despite the deeply personal milestone, the commander-in-chief revealed to reporters in the Oval Office that the worsening international conflict has severely restricted his schedule, complicating his ability to leave Washington during a critical diplomatic juncture.

The timing of the destination nuptials coincides with an intensely scrutinized push by the administration to broker an exit strategy for the highly unpopular war, which has dramatically deflated the President’s domestic approval ratings. Public dissatisfaction has intensified in recent weeks, with voters expressing deep anger over skyrocketing costs of living ahead of November’s high-stakes midterm elections.

The couple had initially explored hosting a grand, high-profile wedding at the White House, but those plans were ultimately scaled back to an intimate destination ceremony on a private island in the Bahamas to avoid political blowback during wartime.

Advertisement

Addressing the media regarding his potential travel plans, the President emphasized the precarious public relations situation he faces while American forces remain heavily engaged in the Middle East stalemate. “He’d like me to go. It’s going to be just a small little private affair and I’m going to try and make it,” Trump told reporters.

“I said, ‘This is not good timing for me. I have a thing called Iran and other things.’ That’s one I can’t win on. If I do attend, I get killed. If I don’t attend, I get killed … by the fake news, of course.”

Continue Reading

Foreign

Xi, Putin signal united front against US in Beijing talks

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Chinese leader Xi Jinping and visiting Russian President Vladimir Putin have signalled a united front against Washington during a summit in Beijing, warning against a global return to the “law of the jungle”.

In a joint statement, China and Russia took aim at US President Donald Trump’s plans for a $175bn “Golden Dome” defence system, which would create a new missile field in the Midwest.

The duo also criticised the expiry of the last US-Russia arms control treaty, which fell to the wayside in February when Trump failed to respond to Moscow’s proposal to extend it by a year.

Wednesday’s summit – which came a week after Xi hosted Trump in Beijing – kicked off with fanfare in the Chinese capital, complete with a red carpet and a military band playing both the Chinese and Russian national anthems.

Advertisement

In their opening remarks, the leaders emphasised strengthening ties and cooperation between Russia and China amid an increasingly fractured world order.

“Even against the backdrop of unfavourable external factors, our interaction and economic cooperation demonstrate strong momentum,” Russian media reported Putin telling Xi.

Xi meanwhile lauded the “unyielding relationship” between China and Russia.

“We have been able to continuously deepen our political mutual trust and strategic coordination with a resilience that remains unyielding despite trials and tribulations,” Xi said.

Advertisement

The Chinese leader also addressed the United States-Israeli war on Iran, telling his Russian counterpart that further conflict was “inadvisable” and a ceasefire was necessary.

“A comprehensive ceasefire is of utmost urgency, resuming hostilities is even more inadvisable and maintaining negotiations is particularly important,” Xi said.

A separate joint statement advised that “there is a danger of fragmentation of the international community and a return to the ‘law of the jungle’”.

“Attempts by a number of states to unilaterally manage global affairs, impose their interests on the entire world, and limit the sovereign development of other countries, in the spirit of the colonial era, have failed,” the statement added.

Advertisement

Energy talks

Among the chief topics of discussion was the energy sector, which Putin called the “driving force of economic cooperation” in Russian-Chinese relations.

China asserted itself as a major buyer of Russian oil and trading partner after Western countries largely cut economic ties with Moscow in response to Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine.

Al Jazeera’s Katrina Yu, reporting from Beijing, said that while the two leaders planned to sign some 40 agreements covering everything from the economy and tourism to education, energy security remained Putin’s priority.

Advertisement

“Since the war in Ukraine, any gas sales that were previously heading to Europe, that is all dried up, and Russia is in desperate need of revenue to replace that,” she said.

The talks did not lead to a new consensus on a long-discussed gas pipeline known as Power of Siberia 2, however.

Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov told Russian media that the two sides had reached a “basic understanding” on the pipeline, including its route, but that there was no “clear timeline” for a buildout.

Xi said that cooperation in energy and resource connectivity should be the “ballast stone” between the two countries, but did not mention the pipeline.

Advertisement

‘Sovereign foreign policy’

Although they received the same red-carpet welcome ceremony, Putin’s visit has so far contrasted sharply with Trump’s trip last week

The Russian president is marking 25 years of the Sino-Russian friendship and has visited China dozens of times, meeting with Xi on more than 40 other occasions.

“So this visit will really be about deepening existing coordination and cooperation,” Al Jazeera’s Yu said.

Advertisement

Putin pledged on Wednesday that Russia and China would pursue an “independent and sovereign” foreign policy programme together to play a “stabilising role on the global stage”.

Xi, for his part, said Beijing and Moscow had deepened “political mutual trust and strategic cooperation” in a world that is “increasingly chaotic” and where “hegemony is overwhelming”.

The comments made it clear that “Beijing and Moscow share a depth of established trust that simply does not exist between China and the US”, Yu said.

At the same time, “Xi is calling for a more multipolar world, where the US has less power and influence”, she added.

Advertisement

Putin is being accompanied by a large delegation of Russian businesspeople and government leaders.

In a video address released before meeting Xi, Putin said Russia and China were prepared to cooperate with each other on the “core interests ‌of ⁠the two countries, including the protection of sovereignty and national unity”.

“We are not aligning against anyone, but working ⁠for the cause of peace and universal prosperity,” Putin said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News