Connect with us

News

SANs disagree over prosecution of indicted retired judges

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Some senior lawyers in the country have disagreed over the prosecution of judges who were recently recommended for compulsory retirement for falsifying their ages.

The National Judicial Council, under the chairmanship of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Kudirat Kekere-Ekun, in a statement on 15 November, disclosed that two heads of the court had been recommended for compulsory retirement over age falsification.

The Chief Judge of the Imo State High Court, Justice T. E. Chukwuemeka Chikeka, was recommended for compulsory retirement.

Similarly, the NJC also directed the Grand Kadi of Yobe State, Kadi Babagana Mahdi, who had three different dates of birth—10 December, 28 January, and July, all in 1959, with the actual date of birth being 1952—to go on compulsory retirement.

Advertisement

Some Nigerians have been calling for the prosecution of the indicted judges to serve as a deterrent to others.

However, some Senior Advocates of Nigeria disagreed with the call, noting that prosecuting the affected judges might be too severe.

This was as some other senior lawyers said the prosecution would serve as a deterrent to others.

A former chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption, Professor Itse Sagay, SAN, stated that the decision of the NJC to retire the judges compulsorily was sufficient.

Advertisement

He said, “I think that punishment is enough. You know the disgrace and the shame of being exposed for falsifying age and then being retired compulsorily? Some punishments are even worse than prison because these are people of great importance in their various circles and societies. I think that punishment is enough, but as I said, I think we should give the new CJN a chance. I am going to personally do that.”

Sharing a similar view, another senior lawyer, Lekan Ojo, SAN, said the nature of the offence committed by the indicted judges would determine if they deserved to be prosecuted or not.

According to him, if the falsification is via an affidavit, it could constitute a crime, but if it was just through merely filling a form, it can’t be criminalised.

“In my view, after asking them to go on compulsory retirement and refund the excess money they might have collected, those two things are appropriate,” he stated.

Advertisement

However, another legal luminary, Chief Mike Ahamba, disagreed with Sagay and Ojo, saying, “I cannot question the decision of the NJC since they made the decision based on the facts before them.”

Another senior lawyer, Kunle Adegoke also echoed a similar position, commending the NJC for wielding the wisdom stick.

He said, “The punishment is not enough. The temple of justice is a place where integrity is prioritised, and I believe that to deter others from repeating the same, the punishment should be stiff.

“The NJC putting them on compulsory retirement is good, but they will still be entitled to pension. So I think prosecuting for such an offence will scare others from repeating the same.”

Advertisement

News

Kwara APC Candidate’s Supporters Distribute Pillows to Market Women in 2027 Campaign Drive

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Supporters of the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate for the Ilorin East/South Federal Constituency, Abdulqowiyu “Cook” Olododo, have distributed pillows to traders and market women at Ipata Market in Ilorin, Kwara State, as part of their grassroots mobilisation ahead of the 2027 general elections.

The items were distributed on Tuesday by members of the A.C.O Forum, a support group backing Olododo’s bid to represent the constituency in the House of Representatives.

The outreach formed part of the forum’s door-to-door and market-to-market campaign aimed at engaging residents and building support for the APC candidate ahead of the election.
Members of the group moved around the market, interacting with traders, residents and other community members while distributing the pillows.

The forum described the exercise as a gesture of goodwill and community engagement, while also using the opportunity to promote Olododo’s candidacy and mobilise support for his 2027 ambition.
During the exercise, members of the group also listened to concerns raised by residents and discussed political participation and the need for citizens to remain actively involved in the electoral process.

Advertisement

In a statement signed by the Chairman of the A.C.O Youth Forum, Afeez Kolawole, and the Secretary, Akeem Ibrahim, the group said the initiative was part of its broader grassroots engagement strategy.

“The ongoing door-to-door and market outreach is aimed at building meaningful relationships, understanding the needs of the people, promoting peaceful political participation, and encouraging residents to remain informed and involved in matters affecting their communities,” the forum said.

The group said its mobilisation strategy was designed to take political engagement beyond rallies and other large gatherings by reaching residents directly in markets, homes and communities.

It added that similar outreach activities would be extended to other communities and wards across the constituency in the coming days.

Advertisement

The forum described its campaign approach as: “A.C.O Forum — Taking the Message to the People, One Household and Community at a Time.”

Olododo is seeking the APC ticket to represent the Ilorin East/South Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives in the 2027 general elections.

Continue Reading

News

2027: Defence minister warns, no amount of security measures can work once politicians decide to go violent

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The Minister of Defence, Gen. Christopher Musa (retd.), has warned that no security arrangement can guarantee peaceful and credible elections in 2027 if political actors resort to violence, misinformation and other forms of electoral malpractice.

Musa, who spoke through his Senior Special Adviser on Policy and Strategy, Maj.-Gen. Olufemi Akinjobi (retd.), at the eighth Blueprint Newspaper Lecture and Awards, said the responsibility for peaceful elections extended beyond security agencies to political parties, candidates, the media, civil society and the electorate.

He said political actors must view elections as a democratic contest rather than warfare, stressing that national interest should take precedence over partisan considerations.
“No security architecture, regardless of how sophisticated, can guarantee peaceful elections if political actors choose violence over dialogue. No electoral law can succeed where misinformation is allowed to replace truth. No democratic institution can flourish where citizens lose faith in the rule of law,” Musa said.

The minister outlined a six-point framework for strengthening election security ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Advertisement

The framework includes intelligence integration, threat assessment, protection of digital infrastructure, cyber resilience, civil-military coordination and strategic communication.
According to him, the Armed Forces will work with the Office of the National Security Adviser, the Nigeria Police Force, the Department of State Services, the Defence Intelligence Agency, the Independent National Electoral Commission and other relevant institutions to ensure that their constitutional responsibilities are carried out professionally and impartially.
Musa also dismissed concerns about partisan interests within the military, insisting that the Armed Forces had no stake in determining the outcome of elections.

“The Armed Forces have no partisan interest in the outcome of elections. Our institutional interest is that Nigeria remains peaceful, united and secure, and that every lawful responsibility assigned to us is carried out with honour, professionalism and accountability.”

He urged political parties and candidates to respect democratic institutions and the rule of law, while calling on the media to promote responsible reporting and counter the spread of misinformation.
The minister also appealed to civil society organisations, traditional and religious leaders to intensify civic education and encourage peaceful participation in the electoral process.
He particularly urged Nigerian youths to reject political violence and avoid being used by politicians to disrupt the electoral process.

Musa said building a peaceful electoral environment required collective commitment from all stakeholders, noting that security agencies alone could not guarantee credible and violence-free elections without the cooperation of political actors and citizens.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

FCT police arrest 10 car jackers, 20 one-way offenders

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Police Command has arrested 10 suspected traffic robbers accused of dispossessing motorists and passengers of their belongings on congested roads across Abuja.

The command also arrested 20 motorists for driving against traffic, popularly known as “one-way”, while three kidnapped victims were rescued and two suspected kidnappers arrested in separate operations.

The Commissioner of Police, FCT, Ahmed Mohammed Sanusi, disclosed this on Wednesday while giving an update on the command’s recent anti-crime operations.

Sanusi said the crackdown on traffic robbers followed complaints from members of the public about criminals who disguise themselves as hawkers and exploit traffic congestion to rob motorists and passengers.

Advertisement

He said he directed all Divisional Police Officers, particularly those operating within the city centre, to ensure that such criminal elements were removed from the roads.

“Following complaints from members of the public regarding the criminal activities of traffic robbers who sometimes disguise themselves as hawkers along congested roads and traffic stops, I charged all Divisional Police Officers, particularly within the city centre, to ensure the evacuation of such persons from our roads,” he said.

The suspects arrested were identified as Umar Salihu, Yusuf Isah, Aliyu Hamza, Abubakar Naziru, Muhammed Musa, Yagugu Mohammed, Suwidi Jibril, Kasimu Taraba, Abubakar Sani and Aminu Umar.

Sanusi said the suspects were in police custody and undergoing investigation.

Advertisement

20 arrested for ‘one-way’ driving

The commissioner said he also directed the command’s divisional police officers to intensify enforcement against motorists who violate traffic regulations, particularly those driving against the flow of traffic.

He said 20 motorists had so far been arrested for various traffic offences and charged to court.

“These operations will be sustained across all roads within the FCT until our roads are safe for all road users,” he said.

Advertisement

Police rescue three kidnap victims

Sanusi also disclosed that the command had rescued three victims kidnapped from their residence in Nyanya, Abuja.

He said the incident was reported on August 14, 2026, at about 6pm, following which he deployed operatives of the Command’s Violent Crime Response Unit, Team 1, to commence investigation.

According to him, investigation revealed that the victims had been taken to New Nyanya in Nasarawa State, where they were held by their abductors.

Advertisement

He said intelligence provided by a resident of the FCT enabled the police to track and arrest two suspects, identified as Godwin Afekhide and Aaron Ogbu, who were allegedly linked to the abduction.

“All three victims were rescued unharmed and reunited with their family,” Sanusi said.

Two arrested over robbery, stolen property

The commissioner further disclosed the arrest of two suspects allegedly linked to armed robbery incidents in Nyanya and Kubwa.

Advertisement

He said the investigation followed a robbery reported in Nyanya on July 14, 2026, after which operatives of the Violent Crime Response Unit, Team 2, were deployed to identify and apprehend those responsible.

According to him, investigators later established that a similar robbery had occurred in Kubwa, using a modus operandi similar to the Nyanya incident.

He said intelligence supplied by members of the public, combined with digital investigative techniques, led operatives to a hotel in Jabi, where a 32-year-old suspect, Ismail Tasiu, was arrested.

Tasiu was arrested alongside 35-year-old Adamu Aliyu, whom police identified as an alleged receiver of stolen items.

Advertisement

Sanusi said police recovered five motorcycles, three knives, a vehicle number plate and a face cap bearing the inscription “Kaduna State Vigilante Service” from the suspects.

He said the suspects and exhibits remained in police custody and would be charged to court after the conclusion of investigations.

Six arrested over burglary, armed robbery

The commissioner also disclosed the arrest of six suspects allegedly involved in burglary and armed robbery.

Advertisement

He said operatives of the Violent Crime Response Unit, Team 1, arrested the suspects on July 28, 2026, following intelligence-led operations.

The suspects were identified as Sanusi Yusuf, Zakari Mohammed, Sani Adamu, Abdulwasi Yahuza, Abdullahi Abah and Aliyu Mohammed.

Sanusi said investigation showed that the gang allegedly specialised in breaking into residential buildings at night, stealing valuables and stabbing victims.

He said the suspects remained in custody and would be charged to court after investigations.

Advertisement

The commissioner assured residents that the command would sustain its operations against criminal elements across the FCT.

“We will identify their hideouts, disrupt their networks, recover their instruments of crime, and bring those responsible to justice,” he said.

Sanusi urged residents to continue providing the police with credible information about suspicious persons and activities in their communities.

“With your continued support and cooperation, we will make the Federal Capital Territory safer for all,” he added.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News